Chapter 23 [The Real One!]

Xandra's POV:

First me and now Zane. Who else is going to end up in the hospital?

Nobody could give me much information about what happened to him; only that it seemed as if he had a panic attack a few days ago and fainted because of it. I knew that he had mood swings every once and awhile, but panic attacks? Not until now.

I thought he would be fine living here on Earth- I mean, he's much older than he looks, but it turns out that I was wrong. He needs more help than he lets on.

Mother said that the doctors are checking on him and that he needs to start therapy. She insisted on paying for it no matter how many times Gerald protested. I just laid back and thought about the many ways Zane could screw up everything.

Frankly, the only people he has ever interacted with were me, Gerald, Kirsty, Sunny, and Lily (although she doesn't really count because she's too young and my mom and Garroth don't count either) and what do they all have in common?

They know Minecraft Diaries.

So basically, if he spills the beans in front of a professional adult who doesn't know what in the world is O'khasis or Lord Aphmau, then he's screwed. If he blurts out information about magicks, then he's dead.

I can't believe I like this guy.

And yet, I want to see Zane- watch his chest rise and fall with every breath of life, and know that he's alive, but unfortunately, I'm stuck in the hospital bed until my mom gets all of the medicine requirements for my new sickness- diabetes. I guess living without parent supervision and enough money to get proper food, you tend to snack a lot and eat sugar too often than not. I knew I should have paid attention to the nutrition labels on the processed food I've eaten in the past.

Mother was convinced that everything was her fault and now was in full "mother-duty" mood. She had marched right into my hospital room and started listing out the things that I have to be aware of because of my disease. I should feel irritated- now she wants to be a mom, but frankly, I was too tired to rebel on anything that she told me. Besides, it was about my health. Not about boys.

I'm surprised she hasn't even mentioned anything about Zane being my boyfriend. All she did was tell the doctor that Zane was under her care now after she found out that his parents left him (a totally great cover story that Gerald and I made in less than five seconds). When questioned about his schooling, we tell her he was a top class student but dropped out because of his parents and then quickly change the subject to food I shouldn't eat from now on.

I'm meeting with Zane's new therapist right now. Since I'm very close to Zane, Doctor Philip allowed me to meet him beforehand to see if the therapist would be a good fit for Zane. Frankly, I don't think anyone could be a matching fit for him. No one can really understand what's going on if they don't know about his past. Which is something Zane shouldn't be telling anyone, even a person who's trying to help him.

And I have a feeling there's more to it than just a panic attack.

The door jerks open slightly, the ray of light from the hallways crawling across the peach walls and onto my face. I blink a few times, staring at the rather small figure standing in the doorway. He's taller than me but barely taller than Gerald. He appears to be in his 20s, but his black Super Mario shirt, black sweatshirt, and blue jeans make him look much younger.

Not your typical, everyday therapist.

"Hi there," the young man says, flashing a small smile my way. He rolls on the back of his feet a few times before entering the room, the door closing behind him. He takes two steps toward the hospital bed and stops, rolling on his feet once more.