Chapter 11

Zane's POV:

     "Hey, Zane?"

     "Hm?" I look up from the book I was reading to stare into Xandra's emerald green eyes. They always attract me, those sparkling little gems attached to her petite face, like a siren in the haunting sea. Lately, I've been taking more notice of how she walked, how she smiled in a way that made me feel a bit.... different.

     What the heck is going on with you, Zane? Shaking the strange feeling off, I try to pay attention to the words coming out of Xandra's mouth. That perfect mouth of hers.....

     Gah?! What in the world are you thinking?!

     "Hey, you listening here, Zaney?" Xandra snaps, her eyes sparkling with fire. Note to self, don't make her any madder than she is when her eyes start burning.

     I suddenly blink at the sound of "Zaney". I haven't heard anyone call me that since.... nevermind. Those painful memories are left to be uncovered. "Did you just call me 'Zaney'?"

     She smiles secretly, a mischievous look in her eyes. "So? What's wrong with that? Can't I call you by a nickname?"

     I shake my head, smiling at that ridiculous nickname that everyone called me when I was younger. Back when everything was perfect in life.... I shake my head again. No, quit thinking of her, Zane, just stop. She's dead already.

     By your very own hands.

     I immediately tense up, my palms sweating a bit. He's supposed to be gone from my mind. I already broke Xandra's heart by breaking my earlier promise, I intend to not break this one. So the Shadow Lord has to go.

     Tisk, you're listening to that girl again, aren't you? Didn't I tell you that listening to your heart is weak? Didn't you learn from before that loving a girl is WEAK?

     I'm not in love with her. I almost sound offended by that statement. Xandra's just a friend, right?

     The Shadow Lord chuckles, that dark, sinister chuckle that makes me want to rip his mouth out of his face. If he even has one left anyway. Foolish boy. Why are you being friends with her anyway? What's so special about this Xandra? Does she remind you of Raven-

     No! Do not ever utter that name ever again! I swear that name is going to kill me one day if it didn't already. Raven.....

     "Zane? You look a bit pale." Xandra stares at me, worried. "Is there something wrong?"

     I try to shake my head in response, but that damn Shadow Lord is causing me to have a headache. I groan, clutching my head with both of my hands.

     Just give into the darkness. His sinister, compelling voice draws me in, a dark black hole that you can never get out of.

     "Zane? Are you okay?" Xandra asks, reaching out for one of my hands, but I immediately swat her away.

     I shake my head. "N-no, it's fine. Really..."

     She stares at me but smiling slowly. "Idiot. You're horrible at lying, you know." And with that, she sits right next to me on the edge of the bed and starts massaging the sides of my head. The tension in my body slowly disappears, the voice of the damn Shadow Lord slowly fading away as I fall deeper and deeper into Xandra's soothing hands.

     "Xandra!"

     The calm silence is shattered by the shriek of a terrified six-year-old, her amber eyes glowing with fear. Xandra jumps to her feet while I continue to examine Lily's expression.

     Something is wrong, that's all I know.

     "Lily! What's wrong, where's Kirsty?" Xandra asks, giving the girl a quick hug.

     Somehow, I feel uncomfortable about the fact that Lily's overprotective sister isn't by her side. Even if Kirsty may hate me, at least, I know that she cares deeply for someone else and doesn't completely hate the world. Kirsty wouldn't allow Lily to come this close to me without her by the girl's side.

     Tears run down Lily's little cheeks, her lips puckering in a way that makes me look away. She looks too much like Eve, my little.... Another person that I loved that died by my own hands.

     "Kirsty's gone! She's not anywhere to be found!"

     Everything in me stills and the look on Xandra's face tells me that she might start crying too. No, don't, girl. I swear if you do, you'll look so much like Raven, it's ridiculous.

     Just then, Gerald bursts in, his blonde hair a complete mess and his usually calm eyes, frantic. This makes me even more shiftier than ever. "Kirsty... She- she.... I can't find her anywhere!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: FINALLY!!!! I AM DONE WITH THIS CHAPTER AND IT'S NOT EVEN THAT LONG!!!! *calms down a bit* Ya, so technically speaking, the reason why this chapter isn't so "interesting" as the other chapter (ya, that one sure was INTERESTING :P) is because I just realized that Kirsty and Zane still hate each other and I knew I had to do something about them before I could make Xandra's and Zane's relationship go any further.

OKAY, HOLD IT PEOPLE, I'M NOT SHIPPING THEM OKAY?! She has a boyfriend already, Gerald, so no, do not even ship them people. No matter how sweet and emotional the next chapter or so gets. It's still #Zandra for the win!

And also, I just realized that I still have to introduce one more character also who is another friend of Xandra's. -_- What has become of my memory?? *slaps forehead in emphasis*

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed it, sorry for the long wait, Merry Christmas, and have a great day! Bye! :D