Chapter 13

Xandra's POV:

     Zane and I slowly make our way towards the tree, knowing that Kirsty is under those swaying branches. I glance up at him, his hair blocking me from seeing his right eye. I always wondered why he kept his hair like that, never showing his eye to anyone or really telling anyone why he kept it like that. I feel tempted to ask him but now isn't the time.

     "Do you hear crying?" I ask in a hushed voice, hoping that I can tone out my fear of Kirsty sitting alone with her dark thoughts from my voice by stating out the obvious. We're close enough to the tree to hear sad sobs, sniffling, and occasional gagging sounds. I silently plead inside my mind that Kirsty didn't suffer anything worse than a bad day.

     "She just walked in out of nowhere and started crying and ranting about how horrible her life is and how she's trying her hardest to take care of her sister and mother and still get on with school but is failing on her grades."

     Not going to happen.

     Zane didn't reply, staring at the swaying branches instead, seeming enhanced by them for some apparent reason. I tilt my head slightly to get a better vantage point of his face and with a nod, confirms that he has that strange distant look on his eyes, as if going in another world of his. He was like a lot of times, one minute laughing at one of my lame jokes and the next minute, he's muttering like a madman and staring into who knows what. I guess that's what he got for shipping his soul to the Shadow Lord or something.

     Now that I think about it, I don't know much about how he turned evil. To be precise, I don't know much about his past or anything! We never talked about Minecraft Diaries or his past experiences, I guess because I'll probably start raging at him for "YOU ALMOST KILLED APHMAU!!" or "HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY TURN A SWEET BABY GIRL INTO A SHADOW KNIGHT?!" and he'll probably start screaming back at me as well and we'll just end up being worse enemies than we are.

     Only until now, I suddenly realize that even though we had good times together, we were only doing so to cover up the big scar between us that appeared a long time ago, when Zane was still in on my computer screen, wreaking havoc around MCD.

     We aren't enemies anymore, but then again, we're technically not "friends".

     So what are we?

     Slowly lifting some branches for us to pass, Zane grunts to get my attention, pointing at a huddled figure crouching near the trunk of the tree. Goosebumps run down my arm, but I eliminate the distance between me and Kirsty as I reach out for a hug-

     And she slaps my hands away.

     "Leave me alone!" she shouts in such vengeance that I practically leap back in shock. She never screams at me, ever in our time together.

     "Kirsty-"

     "No, leave me be! I don't need anyone's pity, especially from you!" She refuses to look at me in the eye, her long black hair covering her tear-streaked face. I sniffle back a gasp, my mind clearly not comprehending what's happening in front of my eyes. Kirsty is the strong one out of the three of us. She never backs down from anything, she makes sure she comes out first with confidence.

     I never have seen her cry this much.

     Zane, who's been quiet until now, says in a toneless voice. "You shouldn't be crying."

     I hiss at him, giving him a "what-are-you-doing?" look. Clearly, his socializing skills need a little bit of help.

     Kirsty immediately looks up to glare with red eyes. "And why shouldn't I, you bastard of a monster?"

     Zane didn't flinch from that insult, instead staring back into the tortured face of a lost girl. "Because I did not back down just yet."

     Kirsty sniffs, continuing to give him a death glare. At least that quality of herself didn't disappear. "That's because you turned evil, you idiot. You practically embraced the pain."

     "Not really embracing the pain," he tells her with a dark chuckle, a bit of old Zane back, "Just embracing the darkness, you can say. The pain will always be there no matter what happens."

     I give him a strange look. Since when did this guy become so wise?

     Sniffling, Kirsty slowly traces her fingers on an old scar running down her right arm, as if reminiscing on an old memory. "What are you trying to say?"

     After a moment's thought, Zane crouches down to stare directly into her eyes, his icy blue ones frozen in a time far, far away when no one can ever remember. "What I am saying is that even if your father is gone, you don't give up. If you're drowning in water, then fight for air. If you can't see through the dark, then light a match. If your purpose in life disappears, then chase after it with all the determination left in your lifeless soul. You simply cannot give up on life. Don't make the same mistake as me." His words are sincere, kind almost.

     Kirsty remains silent for awhile, the swaying branches enhancing the moment furthermore. Finally, her eyes glaze over his face like a printer. "If you already gave up on life, then why are you here?"

     Zane cracks a smile, a smile that he never had on his face since that incident when he stared into my eyes with emotions that I never thought he would ever have for me. "Because.... Because... I found my purpose in life. I found... the reason why I'm living here right now. And I'm not going to lose her anytime soon by some stupid Shadow Lord."

     He turns to look into my eyes again, those emotions of happiness, relief, sincerity, interest, and admiration showing. My heart starts pounding, the blood running through my veins rushing in a frenzy. Something about the way he's looking at me makes me feel all warm inside as if sitting next to a crackling fire in a cold winter day.

     "Xandra, I'll protect you no matter what. And that's a promise."  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: OMG, hahahahahaha!!!! XD *for some strange reason, is laughing like a maniac and can't stop*

Zane: ........... -_-

*continues laughing* Oh Lady Irene, you expected a kiss, right people??? I'm soooo sorry, but as time passed on while writing this, I decided that a kiss was a bit.... too soon for those two. Remember, they still don't really "trust each other" you could say, so...... Oh, and besides, I already have the kissing scene inside my head and I'm all ready for it.... soon! :P

But hey, we can still sing "Zane, Xandra, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!", RIGHT??! *starts jumping up and down from fangirling*  OKAY PEOPLE, SO RIGHT NOW, IN THE COMMENTS, I WANT YOU PEOPLE TO SING THIS SONG LOUD ENOUGH FOR ZANE TO HEAR, OR ELSE NO KISSY-KISS!!!! *evil laugh* Jk, I'm messing with you guys, but still, just do it, please.

Zane: *is on his knees begging* Please, no, please, don't make them do it, please, please, I beg of you!

Me :*taps my chin in consideration* I'll think about it....

Anyway, you guys, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and remember, the kiss is coming SOON!!! *evil laughter as I depart in a thick layer of magic smoke* Omg, I just loving messing with you guys! XD Love you all, BTW! :D