Chapter 17

Xandra's POV:

No, not her. It can't be her. Why is she here? Why now of all times? I just got my life back in order and then she comes back to ruin it all over again. Why? Why? Why?!

"Xandra, you know this woman?" Zane sounds like he might rip off her throat, his breath coming out in slow intakes.

I don't say anything, my mouth hanging wide open. Words try to escape my mouth, but the only thing that I can say is "Gah!" Anger suddenly courses through my bloodstreams, filling me with frustration and totally grief. She abandoned Gerald and me when we were so little and now, after eleven years of pain and torture, she comes back so suddenly like she's still welcomed with warm hugs.

"Xandra, who's there-" Gerald immediately stops in his tracks when he spots the long-haired woman standing in the doorway nervously. He growls at her, causing her to flinch. "Get out."

"Please, Gerald-" She pleads to him, but nothing is getting past Gerald when he's mad.

"No. I don't want you here anymore, Mother. Not after dumping us like we're just sh*t to you." His usual gentle blue eyes blaze with the fire of the sun, his knuckles turning completely white.

Kirsty gasps from where she's sitting and Sunny gets one look at my mother and shoots right back into the kitchen. Zane just stands there, stone face, hand grasping mine's in comfort. I shove him away, not wanting his sympathy now. A look of pain crosses his eyes, but instead, he walks in front of me to give my mother a long look.

"Look, ma'dam. I don't know who you are, but according to Gerald and Xandra, you're not welcomed here anymore. But frankly, I like to hear your side of the story." Zane's eyes turn completely cold, observing my mother like a peasant in his kingdom.

Something flashes in her eyes before saying, "And what right do you have to say that, young man?"

A smile quickly plays at his lips, his amusement clearly showing. I shake my head silently, knowing that my mother would never know the true meaning of Zane's mysterious origins. "I don't have any rights, but I want to know anyway." He gestures inside our cramp apartment. "Come inside for awhile."

Turning around to give him a glare, I think that he's the craziest man alive. He knows how much I hate her, how much I want to forget my horrible past. "I do not want her in my-" Zane immediately wraps me in a warm hug, rubbing my hair with his neck like a cat. He doesn't say anything, just stands there, silent. Still. A rock.

Don't worry. I know what I'm doing. I swear I heard Zane's voice in my head, but I don't care anymore. I smile up at him, wondering where was he all those years ago when I needed to someone to lean on.

-------------------------------------------

Myra's POV (this is Xandra's mom BTW):

I stare at Xandra's glowing eyes looking up at the strange boy hugging her, his grip on her strong but gentle. She looks so calm with him, happy almost. Why is this boy in my daughter's place? What does he have to touch her like that?

"Right this way, m'lady," the boy says in an Old World accent, his strange icy blue eyes glowing in an eerie way. I shake my head, trying to hold back a sob when I spot Gerald's enraged face from across the room. A girl with dark, shoulder-long hair holds him down. Another girl with platinum gray eyes walks out of the kitchen and gives me a strange look. I don't glance at any one of them.

Gerald walks towards Xandra, his fury clearly audible. "Why are you here?"

I flinch, staring at the small table in front of me. There is a tray of half eaten snacks and a pitcher a quarter filled with lemonade. Dirty plastic plates litter the table and ground. The apartment is sweltering hot. I almost cry all over again. Is this what kind of lifestyle my children have been living these past years?

Almost a year after leaving them, I've been having nightmares late at night, destroying my need of sleep. I spent hours pacing around the house, wandering through the empty rooms and wondering what was going on with me. Up until a year ago as I was staring into Gerald's room, fidgeting with the little toy robot he always used to take with him, I realized what a foolish woman I was. Leaving my children to fend for themselves, when they were barely kids. I don't what I was thinking.

When I told Henry that I wanted Xandra and Gerald back, he laughed and told me no.

"We left them because we wanted to. It was a mistake to have children," he had said, playing with his red business tie. He looked sharp in his expensive black suit and plain white dress shirt. "Besides, they probably wouldn't let us in anymore."

I almost believed him, but when I stared into his icy blue eyes that reminded me of Gerald, I refused. And so I left our huge mansion like home and settled somewhere else to find my kids on my own.

And so here I am, sitting next to Xandra and Gerald, my beloved children. My children that hate me now. Because of how foolish I was, blindly following what Henry told me because I thought I loved him more than my kids. I was so wrong. So, so wrong.

"Why are you here?" Xandra asks quietly, her green eyes like mine glassy. The strange boy continues to stare at me as if waiting for a response too. Something seems off about him, but I brush away my doubts.

"Because..." Taking in a deep breath, I look straight into my daughter's beautiful eyes, willing myself not to cry anymore. I swear I could have cried an ocean today. "I'm sorry, so, so sorry. It took me eleven damn years to figure out how foolish I was for leaving you two alone. I don't even know what to do anymore. But, I want you two back in my life again." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Happy Valentine's day people! This is a short chapter, sorry, but it'll do for now. Zane's going to have a key role in Xandra's recovery of forgiving her mother, so stay tuned for some drama in the future! ^w^

Maybe for Valentine's Day, we can do a Q&A? I don't know, it's all you guys' decision. 

  I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and I love you guys all! Bye! :D