Chapter 30

Garroth's POV:

Lauren Simon is a complete mystery of a sort, but you do not know that until you truly look at her. No, not at her long brown hair or baby blue big eyes. She's a mystery because of the way she flutters her eyes at Branden every so often as if confirming information or how she sometimes seems like she's floating instead of walking.

And maybe it's the fact that she somehow made me go from Branden's office to the Golden Gate Bridge in less than a minute and without anyone noticing. And then back to the office again.

I wouldn't describe her or her actions as creepy. I've been used to this kind of magicks.

"I told you she could help you," Branden says, smiling at me from above his stack of paper. Lauren had just exited the room, her stomach growling for something to eat. The appointment wasn't done, however. I'm not so sure if that's a good thing or not.

I give him a famous Ro'meave look of the eye, the look that usually told others to back off. It doesn't seem to have much effect on the young man. "You said no such thing."

Branden laughs. "I can see why Xandra keeps telling me how much you two act alike."

"Who's the other person she's talking about besides me?" It's a ridiculous question, I know, but I can't help it. Not after years and years of convincing myself that I was never going to be like my father or brother.

"I'm pretty sure you know who." Branden pokes at one of his little toys on his desk before looking at me. Curiously but gently. Interested yet cautious. "We have a few minutes before Lauren comes back. Anything you want to talk about?"

He knows. He always knows when something is amidst. Perhaps it was because of him being a "therapist", perhaps he just seems to read right through people's mask.

Or maybe he just knows.

I sigh, already tiring myself with questions. "Perhaps."

He gives me a look, a rather amused one. But gentle, still gentle. At least, he isn't giving me the sympathetic look that I've seen people have on their faces before. Those looks always drove me crazy, resisting the urge to yell, "I don't need your sympathy, I just need someone to get me and actually listen to me."

Just like Aphmau would do. I sigh out loud before I can even stop myself. It seems that every thought I've been thinking about lately always relates to the Lord of Phoenix Drop in a way.

"Five more minutes, Garroth," Branden says, his voice full of amusement. I can handle amusement from him if he doesn't get annoying later on.

"Well..." I hesitate on my words.

"Well?" Dear Irene, he's persistent.

"It's just... our father."

Our father, the person who tore apart our family. Tore apart my brothers. Zane.

"I heard some stuff about your father from Xandra."

I nod. It seems as if Xandra knows more information about my father nowadays than I do. "He isn't the greatest person. I mean, he once was, but then... he just changed. Many people could blame the accident, but frankly, I just don't know..."

Branden blinks once, his face impassive but his eyes gentle. "Don't know what?"

Somehow, his voice does not pressure me. Most people who ask me questions like that wouldn't even get an answer. "If the accident even happened. When he got back to the castle, he went straight to his chamber- nobody got to see him except for the doctor. He stayed in his chamber for three straight days until he entered the grand hall for dinner. He acted as if nothing of importance has had happened."

Except for the fact that he seemed to have a strange new interest in Zane. It wasn't that Father avoided Zane before, I don't think. It just seemed that he shifted his attention from me to him entirely. As if he finally came to a conclusion on something.

Zane had noticed the difference as well, giving me a helpless look across the table before being flocked by odd questions from Father once more.

"Calling him a jerk wouldn't offend anyone right?" Branden asks, his eyes bright and teasing. Xandra and Zane warned me about that look once. They said it always caused trouble in the past. "I mean, he was good and all, but then he decided to turn Darth Vader on everyone so I mean..." He suddenly laughs but continues a few seconds later in a very low and breathy voice. "'I am your father.'"

I have no idea who Darth Vader is and what Branden's saying, but I shake my head anyway. Seems to be the only possible reaction to such a strange comment. "Call him whatever you like. He is, in fact, a jerk."

Branden smiles at me, but before he could say anything else, the door opens to Lauren Simon, her eyes dark and stormy. Her neat brown hair is a complete mess on top of her head and her hands are as pale as pure white. She looks as if she just came out of a wrestling match.

"Laur?" Branden stares at her, startled, getting on his feet and nearly tripping on his chair legs. "You don't seem in the greatest mood."

Her eyes grow darker, a raging sea ready to send a ship of people overboard. "Oh, go figures. You do realize that sometimes, I can't help but wonder how you rely on my power so much when it has a mind of its' own on many accounts. Like, sometimes it's ridiculous how many times people start popping out of nowhere-"

"Lauren, you're not making any sense." Branden takes one step forward but doesn't go any closer. I can't blame him, although. The lady looks ready to slay a dragon with her own bare hands, more or less a mere human being.

If her eyes could possibly go darker and stormier, they did. And just at that moment, as if to emphasize what she previously said, the sound of Xandra's surprised cry fills the hallway of the therapist building and with that, a flash of light and Zane's voice spurring many colorful words into the air.

Branden closes his eyes and shakes his head. As if waking from a strange dream. "What in the world...?" He squeezes himself in the doorway beside Lauren. She surprisingly doesn't protest. A moment passes- the world seeming to fall into complete silence before a soft growl escapes his lips.

"Dear Shadow Knight me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Gahhhhhhhhhh, I forgot to post this on Wattpad! X( Plz, forgive me, wonderful people out there in the world...

Haven't done a cliffhanger in quite some time.... *sweat drops* Well, you'll probably have to wait for like a week or two before you find out more about Branden Lansberg and His Secret Identity. *mysterious music in the background* He, he...

Anywayyyyssss, sorry for the long wait, but here it is finally. Plz don't kill me because of the lateness or cliff-hanger... *hides* I'm not so sure how often I'll be able to update- probably try to update at least every week or two, because of sschooooollllllllllll *curses all the beautiful and colorful words* and/or I'm just lazy/writer's block just hates me. :P

I might go back and change some stuff to this chapter tomorrow, idk. But if I do, just check the chapter after like a day or so and see if I did. And if I didn't *shrug*.

That's all for today (tonight). I hope you guys have a wonderful day, be sure to leave a like, comment, or follow me. I'll see you all later, buh-bye! ^w^