Chapter 14

Zane's POV:

     I wish I have the guts to admit to myself that Xandra is the most beautiful thing that happened to me in my whole entire, damn life.

     Wait, I just said it.

     Oh well, guess I do have the guts to say so.

     It's been a bit awkward between Xandra and me after I confessed that I'll protect her, but I'm not taking anything back. She's my purpose in my life and I won't let anyone steal her from me.

     Ha, pathetic. Should have never allowed you to leave yourself be.

     I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself if that's what you mean. What was I thinking three years ago, when I agreed to this contract with this crazy Shadow Lord who won't leave me alone even in my sleep?

     No, that isn't what I meant, fool. You're falling for love, for that GIRL!

     Like I said many times, I am not in love with Xandra. Although that protest now seems less convincing than ever and unfortunately, the Shadow Lord notices.

     He chuckles darkly, dark shivers running down my spine. Sinister thoughts take their course through my head, jumbling all of my common sense into madness. If Xandra were here, she would simply smile and all of my doubts would disappear.

     See? That girl is blinding you. You expect so much from her and not even returning anything in return.

     That catches me off guard. The realization of how true that statement is hits me hard in the stomach. Yes, I promised that I would protect her with my life, but still....

     "Zane?"

     Xandra's petite head peaks out of the doorway, almost shyly. Her usual calm green eyes race with some kind of new emotion.

     Nervousness?

     She still doesn't trust you that much.

     That may be true, but that doesn't mean anything.

     To you?

     Just get out of my head, brat.

     "Sorry about avoiding you after that... incident," she says, a light blush creasing her cheeks, "It must have taken a lot of courage to say that to me with Kirsty there too."

     I shrug as if it's no big deal even if it really is. "Well, at least, she respects me now."

     Xandra smiles slowly, calming down a bit. "You guys are doing well for a change. She's complaining about how you treat her like a younger sister."

     I shrug my shoulders and close my eyes. Just the thought of a younger sister makes my insides tighten and the memory of Eve reappears in my head. Every day I try my hardest to keep that constant image of her torn body from my mind, but it comes back anyway.

     Why did she have to die? By my hands, of all people.

     But you loved the thrill of death in your hands, didn't you? The Shadow Lord's dark chuckle makes me want to kill everyone on sight.

     "I always wondered what it'll be like to have a younger sister to take care of." I look up, startled at Xandra's sudden words. A sad smile on her lips, she sits right next to me on the bed, the fan whipping her hair around magically. "You know, to tease, to mess around with, to... protect." She looks up at me, her saddening eyes impacting me more than I expected.