Chapter 20 (might be violent?)

Xandra's POV:

The first things I dream about are my parents when they weren't such big jerks. My mom would take me and Gerald to our spacious backyard and allowed us to play around with the swing sets while she went off tending to her roses. She loved roses- especially the red ones because they reminded her of love and happiness.

"People think red means blood and war, but really, it's right here," she had told me one day, pressing her pointer finger to the center of my chest, causing me to giggle.

Every time I think of red now, I see Zane's glowing devil eyes, towering over me as he raises his sword to strike at me with that evil smirk on his face. He's a devil and I'm dating him. Smart.

Leave him be. He's not worth your time. He is evil.

I've been hearing that voice ever since the darkness overtook me. It speaks to me in a silvery, smooth voice- calm like water and yet as dangerous as daggers. So relaxed, so empowering. But something in my gut tells me to never trust him- he is dangerous, deadly. Stay away from him.

Ah, but darling, Zane is more dangerous than I. Much more dangerous. And yet you spend your time thinking he's good. Pathetic.

You're wrong, I want to tell him. Zane is a good person, he would never betray me. But something in the root of my brain forbids me from saying so. From protecting Zane's living image. Sudden dread fills my mind as a feeling of something crawling sends shivers down my spine. No, Zane, wouldn't do anything to me, would he?

Hmm, looks like you need more convincing, Xandra Ro'haven. Haha, that could be arranged.

In the total darkness, I make out a figure- a darker shadow slowly walking towards my way, the sounds of footsteps echoing throughout the dark. I stand still, uncertain about what to do. He doesn't seem like an enemy, but I'm not sure if I should just run up to him like a friend. The footsteps grow louder as the figure appears bigger with each step until it stands only a few feet from me.

I can see it- or him properly now. His matted down black hair I can recognize anywhere. I can't see his eyes, but I'm too filled with relief to ponder much on the subject.

Laughing at how tense I was, I start running towards him- and then immediately stop when I spot his gleaming black sword in hand. I freeze, realizing with horror that his eyes are now a bloody red, not the icy blue color of gentle curiosity nor the clear white of his demonic form. They gleam dark and sinister, a bright velvet color consuming everything it takes on.

That is not a color of love.

It is a color of death.

He never loved you. And he'll never will. A cold breath sweeps onto the back of my neck, tickling me to the core. Terrified, I whirl around to stare into the eyes of bloody red, crackling and flickering like deadly fire. The Shadow Lord. Even the name sounds like the devil itself.

"No, that's not true," I whisper to myself, backing away from those haunting eyes. Every time they flicker, they show a scene of a battle unfolding, the screams of the injured and the blood of the dead. All ready to eat me alive.

I bump into a sturdy wall and hear a growl- hissing into my neck like viper. I yelp, jumping out of the way to stare into Zane's eyes as well. Gone were the innocent icy blue eyes that held such childish curiosity, and what replaced them were orbs of death and destruction. As if everything that he has done right disappeared, wiped out of existence.

Nothing kind about him was real.

The Shadow Lord laughs, his body-less ghost-like shape floating menacingly in the air. His voice no longer has the silvery, smooth sound to it, but rather sounds like metal grated together in heavy force.