Chapter 12- Sorry for the Late Update! :(

Xandra's POV:

     I am freaking out right now.

     Where did the heck my insane friend go to?

     I swear, once I get my hands on her, I will literally be the death of her.

     "Whoa there, Xandra! You're not going anywhere if you keep acting like the world is at its end," Zane says, acting as the calm voice in a sea of frantic people. For once, I'm glad he's bossing me around.

     I take a deep breath, motioning for Gerald to do the same who looks like he might explode with worry. I swear that guy is just too overprotective of his girlfriend. Well, I can't really blame him, Kirsty isn't the tough, angry girl she is on the outside.

     "Okay, we need to find her, quickly. But Gerald," I turn to give my brother a pleading look, one someone could simply never ignore. "Why did she run off?"

     Gerald's face twists into a mask of fury, staring at his shoes instead of me. Zane stirs at the sight of his expression, clearly uncomfortable at how alike Gerald looks to Garroth. "I don't know, really. She just walked in out of nowhere and started crying and ranting about how horrible her life is and how she's trying her hardest to take care of her sister and mother and still getting on with school but is failing on her grades. I tried to comfort her, but she just slapped me and.... told me nobody was going to help her heal from the death of her father. And then she just.... ran off."

     I almost cry again. I knew this was going to happen, I knew she couldn't hold everything together for long. This is the reason why I became friends with her from the beginning, she shares the same pain that I do, only maybe a bit less considering she still has her mom caring for her. But then again, Kirsty seems to be the one in charge in her household.

     "We should go find her," I say calmly, daring my brother to explode in a situation like this.

     Fortunately, he just nods, his eyes growing distant with worry and concern. Pity soon overtakes me and I can tell that Zane is resisting from making a snarky remark about it. I am so relieved that he's learning how to compose himself for once. Maybe he is trying to change after all....

     "But who's going to take care of Lily?" Zane asks, gesturing at the little girl that's clutching to my pant legs like heck. I look down at her, her big, terrified eyes so full of worry for her older sister. Leaving her alone is not an opinion, Kirsty would kill me.

     I give Zane a strange glance and in return, he glares back at me in a way that tells me that he is not going to be a good person to babysit a crying kid. But I can't take care of Lily and leave my overly worried older brother and half-insane villain-turned-good friend on their own to work together. If they even can without killing each other first.

     Which leaves me to do a very difficult choice that might cost me something.

      "Gerald, take care of Lily for me," I say in a rather quiet voice as I silently prepare for his wrath of "how-can-I-possibly-babysit-a-kid-when-my-girlfriend-is-losing-herself-somewhere?"

     Gerald's usual calm blue eyes turn into a firestorm of rage. "What? I can't just sit down and-"

     "Gerald. Please." I stare deep into his icy eyes, a pleading look that could only affect an older sibling to agree with the younger sibling, a look that is knitted between struggles and fights and love for each other. (A/N: For people who is the older sibling, please tell me you've seen this look before on your younger sibling's face before because I have....)

     For what seems like hours, Gerald finally sighs in defeat, his eyes weary with a sudden burden on his shoulders. "Fine, but I promised her I would keep her safe. I promised that I would make sure I wouldn't leave her alone."