03; christmas spirit

If had been two days since Ben and Harry had come over.

Two days, I've been in my room, locked away, refusing to eat, drink, or talk to anyone.

After that big blowout, I reckon Harry probably never wanted to come over to play with Casey again and its all my fault. What if he thinks I'm some kind of freak? What if he thinks the entire family are freaks?

As for Ben, I mean, I don't care all that much what he thought about me. I've been in situations with him far worse than that, such as that time I had an erection while he cornered me in the bathroom stall at school as he teased me, in the bad way. It was kind of like when a cat plays with a bug or a mouse before it kills it.

I let out a breath of exhaustion as I flipped my pillow around lazily to get the colder side. I stared at the blank wooden door that has once been covered all over with pictures and posters and all kinds of decorations. They were all packed away in the boxes sat at the corner of my room. I took them all to uni to bring a slice of home with me so I didn't feel so homesick.

"Flynn?" Karen called from the other side of the door. I buried my head beneath the sheet and glanced towards my window, facing my back to the door.

She knocked once and I heard the door creak and tap the wall lightly on impact as she opened it. The bed dipped and I could feel her heat and hear her breath over me. She stroked my hair, but I didn't seem to care surprisingly, and let her continue on doing it.

"Flynn, I'm worried about your health, you skipped breakfast and lunch." She informed me with a voice so full of tenderness and sincerity. Instead of answering, I just lay there and continued on listening. "I brought some things from the store, do you want to bake some Christmas cookies with me? I'll even let you go crazy with the icing."

It was awfully temping, and I was feeling peckish too, but not as much as a normal person would after skipping two important meals.

"Come on, otherwise your sister will eat all the sweets for the decorations and our gingerbread men and Santa won't have eyes. It'll be more of a late Halloween spook than anything."

I shifted a little and turned over, facing her. Secretly, I was kind of hoping my actual biological mum would be sitting there instead. She wasn't, unfortunately.

I kept trying to persuade myself to make an effort with Karen because Dad was so in love with her and I knew how it felt to be in love. I know how it felt to lose somebody too. I can't be the one to ruin the family. I watched as Karen stood up and straightened out her festive reindeer jumper before stretching her hand towards me and looking at me with hopeful green eyes. I contemplated for a long while before deciding to take her delicate hands and mine and crawling off the bed.

"Atta boy." She smiled and reached over to my bedside to grab what looked like a present, it was wrapped nicely and even had a ribbon on it. Confused, I ripped it open and saw that it was a red jumper and had lots of tiny candy canes imprinted on it. I pulled it over my head and noticed it had a fleece lining, perfect for snuggling up in on cold winter days such as today. Then, she rattled the bottle of pills next to my bedside and took out one, handing it to me.

I muttered a thanks and took the pill, swallowing it down with the bottle of water I keep near my bed. I smiled at her as best as I could, considering how I felt right now, and followed her down the stairs, my hand in hers. We walked into the kitchen and I saw Casey eating from a packet of strawberry laces, she flashed us a toothy grin before folding the packet away.