12; déjà vu

"THE SNOW SETTLED." I screamed as I jumped on Casey's bed. She woke up in shock, probably from thinking some kind of madman burst into the house.

"Shut up." She huffed, rolling around in her bed.

"Let's build a snowman!" I continued on jumping and my weight kept making her bounce up and down and almost go flying.

"Flynn shut up." She repeated, "later."

"No, come on! This is the first year it's snowed on since you've moved here. We have to build a snowman."

"Ok." She muttered tiredly and crawled out of bed. "And don't you ever wake me up like that again because you will regret it."

I grinned at her and jumped off the bed, causing a loud thump. Excitedly, I hurried down the stairs and put a pair of cosy boots over my sweatpants and a fat winter coat over my t-shirt.

"Flynn, you seem too happy." Casey commented, grabbing her coat and giving Ember a snuggle as she made her way to where we were stood.

"No, I'm fine. I just love snow." I shrugged. I totally understand why she'd worry, but I've always been like this around this time of year.

Once I was all warm and cosy with my gloves and scarf on, I pulled open the front door and hurried outside with Casey and Ember so the rest of the house didn't get affected too much from the icy cold air that sneaked it's way in.

The snow was a couple inches high and covered my feet up, so the only thing peeking from the snow was my ankle.

Ember jumped out happily and went all crazy by jumping around in circles and then whizzing past the two of us in a sprint. Casey laughed before but was stopped short once I grabbed a clump of snow and rolled it into a ball and then threw it at her.

"Flynn! That's my mouth!" She whined, throwing snowball in my direction. I ducked, missing it completely, and watched as it hit into a wall behind me. I chuckled and ran behind my car to shield myself and Casey did the same with Dad's car.

"Do you want to give Harry and Ben a nasty surprise?" I shouted. Instantly, her eyes brightened and she came out of hiding with a handful of snowballs. "That's my girl."

It was fair to say that Casey was just as cunning and as cheeky as yours truly. That's why we got along so well, and although she's only been around for a year and a bit, it feels as if we'd been step-siblings for a much longer time.

She threw a bunch of snowballs at me before running away cowardly with Ember and in the general direction of Ben's home. Scrunching my nose up in disgust, I spat out some snow that landed in my mouth and wiped off my jacket and gloves before following the two.

I caught up to Casey and attacked her in a hug before hauling her over my shoulder. She was giggling the whole journey to Ben's and I couldn't help but giggle along with her.

Casey and I weren't exactly like normal siblings; I loved her to bits and I'd take a bullet for her any day. 17 years without a sibling was kind of lonely most the time and you'd think I'd get used to it, but I never really did.

At some point, I was glad because I'd get all the attention, but as I've gotten older and older I don't care all that much about attention and I could easily avoid talking to anyone for a few days and be completely fine. I guess that's what you learn in university. Too many exams and lectures mean your social life goes to shit. I was only there for three months so after three years, would that mean people just come out feeling completely inferior?