32; the small things

"You didn't think I forgot about Valentines did you?" Ben smirked. He pressed his body against the wooden doorframe of my bedroom. In one hand, a rose, in the other, a gift bag.

I was still finding it difficult to process anything right now. Seeing him stood there like that, sounding so cool and saying words that before this, I could only dream of him saying, it was absolutely mesmerising.

I could only look in his direction from my position sat up on my bed feeling half dazed.

"You look cute with that doe-eyed look." He smiled and walked inside my room.

He pushed the rose in my direction but I furrowed my brows, and then he pushed the gift bag in my direction instead and I smirked confidently and grabbed it off him.

The glossy and glittery bag almost slipped from my sweaty hands, so I put it down on the bed and pulled the red, sheer ribbon undone.

Inside the bag was a bunch of tissue paper and confetti. I shoved my large hand into the small bag and felt around as if it was a lucky dip, and finally pulled out a black box. The box was made of leather, and it was in the shape of a chest.

I looked up at his standing form with a grin and looked back down at the small box, and then back at him, and then finally back down at the gift.

Opening it up, I saw the most beautiful, most precious looking charm bracelet. It was very ornate, and had all these intricate patterns on the metal band. I wasn't quite sure of some of the very few charms on it, however.

"Those charms. They're religious symbols that stand for peace, happiness and wisdom." One side of Ben's mouth turned upwards. "Of course, it's not like I'm trying to get you to follow a religion, it's just that the meaning of the symbols makes me think of you."

"Thank you." I grinned, grabbing his shirt and pulling him closer to me. He sat on the foot of the bed opposite to where I was sitting, and in between us, was the gift bag and Ember's sleeping form.

I dug into the bag once again and pulled out the next item. It was a bowtie. A really simple one too; the only pattern was the logo of the designer brand. It was black too, so it wasn't exactly very noticeable from afar, but that's the thing with designer brands.

"You spoil me." I grinned, "we haven't even dated that long, you shouldn't have to spend so much."

He shrugged. "I like spoiling people."

"So would that make you my sugar daddy-"

"Fuck that." He snorted, "I'm taking you out tonight, so you could wear that tie if you want, but whatever suits your outfit really."

"Noted." My curiosity was at its peak, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get my surprise to escape his lips no matter how much I try to seduce him. Seduction was the only thing I was good at, but Ben unfortunately, was immune.

The last thing I pulled out the bag was a small envelope. Curiously, I raised my brow and hesitated for a split second before I lifted the flap up. I was curious because it was a small envelope, so it can't have been a Valentines card.

Inside, was a small pile of photos. About the size of polaroid ones, except not in the same style. These looked like proper photographs, printed professionally.

I saw a blush paint Ben's cheeks as he scratched the back of his neck and smiled goofily. I settled my eyes on the first photograph, and was surprised to see that it dated all the way back to prom. That's three years ago.

"I got in touch with the photographer from prom, it wasn't hard really since it was the dad of some guy that was in my Biology class."

"Oh." I muttered out, feeling sort of stuck with what to say. It wasn't that I was quiet because I wasn't appreciating it, in fact it was quite the opposite. I loved these sorts of presents, that seemed like absolute trash to some stranger, but it definitely was priceless to me. It was as if Ben knew me inside out, or he's just very observant. Most likely the latter.