Chapter 1

“Death.How can this be so inevitable? No matter how much we try to avoid it, it’ll come.

My death would be an easy acceptance but the death of someone I love is as worse as having entered a dark tunnel.

Alone.

No one to ask for help.

No warmth.

Just coldness.

Cold as death itself.

It is just like I had to stop seeing because of darkness.

And I had to stop feeling because of numbness.

It’s a place where I never imagined I would be. It is just like my own death.

Someone said, “There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.”

But where is that light?

“Someone will meet you at the end just keep walking,”

What if there’s no one?

What if it’s just me?

No one will be there because he is gone.

He is gone.

So am I.”

.

.

.

.

.

.

“When did she write this?” Dr. Guzman, the psychiatrist, asked as she stared at a piece of paper which was obviously torn from a notebook.

“Just this morning. We found it on her desk,” Mr. Bernardo replied as he held his wife’s arm who was worried sick about their daughter.

“She actually has been drawing since last week but it was just this morning that she actually wrote things like these. Has she gone worse?” Mrs. Bernardo’s forehead creased as anxiety was starting to build up on her.

Dr. Guzman sighed as she took away her eyes from the paper and stared at the worried couple. She shook her head and gave out a small smile, “No, Mrs. Bernardo. You have nothing to worry.This is actually a great improvement.In fact, I wasn’t expecting this to happen too soon.”

The couple looked at each other,puzzled.

“But her words,it’s all about death and.....him. Isn’t this something we should be worried about?” Mrs. Bernardo who was half-confused and half-relieved at the same time buzzed at the incongruous statement.

“Well, you know, this is a sign of improvement because finally she is able to express herself through writing. Yes,of course, what she wrote is really something to be worried about but we have to understand that she is still not that well,” she paused as if giving the couple time to let her words sink in.

“Has she ever mentioned him to you? Or asked anything about him?” she asked.

Both shook their heads. She sighed.

“We have been waiting for this improvement for two - three years. Depression can never be gone too easily, but you should be proud of your daughter for being strong, despite the trauma she has been through. And now that she started writing about him, I consider this as one of her greatest progress.Everything will be fine Mr. And Mrs. Bernardo.It takes time but it will happen. Okay?” she said with an assuring smile. The couple nodded in agreement as they held into each other’s arms.

“I was thinking if we could bring our daughter back to our hometown.We’ve been staying here in the city for 2 years already. Maybe she needs fresh air and a familiar place to get better,” Mr. Bernardo suggested.

The psychiatrist thought for a while as she continuously gazed at the paper she has been holding for the last 15 minutes, “I need to see her tomorrow.If my assessment goes well, I might allow you to bring her home.”

Mr Bernardo stared at his wife with a smile of relief.

The mere fact that there could be a chance to finally bring their daughter back home to their place was more than enough for them to be filled with joy.

Both thanked the doctor and left the clinic with high hopes.

Two years of suffering and patient waiting was no easy situation to swallow for the Bernardo family.

After a horrid car accident back in their town in Cebu, things were never the same.

There were less smiles and laughters bouncing back and forth at the four walls of their home. Even the lights were dimmed.

And for two years, they have been waiting for the light of their family to return.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Just a small chapter to start with.

If I have a reader, a comment will definitely make my day. Thanks! :)