Chapter 15

“What’s so wrong with that?” Carmen asked after Kath told her what happened.

Kath’s brows furrowed.

“Do you need to ask? It’s adultery!”

“What are you talking about? There’s nothing wrong with what happened,” Carmen answered defensively.

Kath closed her eyes as if in disbelief, “Are you hearing yourself Ate? I have a husband whom I couldn’t remember and  I kissed my bestfriend who is by the way, married, and you’re telling me there’s nothing wrong with that?”

Carmen rolled her eyes, held Kath’s shoulders and forcefully made her sit on the bed.

“Kath...sometimes, you have to give yourself a break. Give yourself a chance to move on and be happy with what’s happening now.”

Kath shook her head, “You don’t understand Ate. This is a sin. My husband is dead and here I am flirting with my best friend when I couldn’t even freaking remember my husband’s name.”

“You said it yourself, your husband is dead. If you think you’re husband is dead, why are you still chaining yourself to him?”

“Don’t you get it? My husband needs respect!”

“I know you respect him but be honest with me, what are you feeling right now?”

Kath tried to open her mouth but closed it again.

“Kath,” Carmen sat beside her, “You know what’s important right now? It’s your happiness. It’s been years since the last time we saw you smile and laugh. And it only happened when Quen came back into your life. Am I right?”

Kath stared at her sister and nodded guiltily.

“We all know you love and respect your husband. And we know he is always in your heart,” she placed her hand on Kath’s chest.

“You’re heart won’t stop beating with the thing you force yourself to believe in. It won’t stop there. It won’t. It beats for your happiness. And Quen,” she cupped her face, “he is your happiness. I know that. I’m your sister.”

Kath stared at her half relieved half restricted.

“I know that look,” Carmen said.

“That same look you had when you wanted to go to the prom with Quen but someone else asked you out,” she smiled.

Kath stared at her puzzled.

“I won’t tell you what happened because I trust in your memory. I trust in you.”