Epilogue

Calls Me Home - Shannon LaBrie

+++++

16 years later.

        The cool wet sand felt good under her feet, leaving marks as she stepped on them. Her dress flew accordingly with the breeze. The sun was ready to set, and she thought how remarkable the scenery was. She had always dreamed of this, taking in the whole breath-taking view in with someone she loved so dearly. Throwing a wide grin at their intertwined hands, she counted the steps they had taken from the distance, stopping only, upon her company’s request. She watched her as she gazed through the blue and green horizon, her eyes full of fascination, but not as fascinated as she was as she took in the beauty standing beside her, an exact replica of her and him.

“It’s beautiful!” She finally exclaimed.

“It has always been, Gracie.” She stated, gawking at the fresh waves rolling in.

Her peripheral vision had signalled her that she had not liked what she had just called her, causing her to pout, which she had always found adorable.

“Ma~” she whined.

“What?” she stifled a chuckle, avoiding her daughter’s sullen gaze.

“Stop calling me Gracie, I’m already 18.”

A placid smile played across her lips as she drew her to her side, rubbing her arms. “I know. I’m just playing with you, Grace.”

Grace smiled in return, it reminded her of him. She wrapped her into her arms and whispered, “I’m so proud of you.”

She felt Grace’s hands on her back, “Thanks,Ma.” She said meekly.

“What’s wrong?” she pulled herself from the hug and watched her face, inserting the loose strands of hair behind her ear.

“I just wished Papa was here to see me walk down the stage and receive my diploma,” her bleak eyes were on the sand, watching the retreating waves brush through their feet.

        Her heart broke. She, too, had wished the same. He would have been proud and happy to see Grace graduate from senior high. He would have stopped the time because he’d hate to see Grace grow up so fast. And she—she’d do the same. Lifting her chin up so she could see her eyes, she was certain she was staring into the mirror, she gave her a serene smile.

“Wherever Papa is right now, you should know that he is the happiest person now. He is so proud of you.” Grace’s eyes brightened as she cupped her face. “Didn’t you hear the loudest whistle and applause back at the auditorium?” her brows shot up. “It was Papa. He was cheering for you as you received your diploma.”

Grace held back her tears as she grinned at her mother’s words. “I know.”

“See? He’s always there—watching over us, watching over you—her little angel.” It was her turn to hold back the tears threatening to fall down any moment.

“Do you still miss him, Ma?” she whispered.

She felt a lump on her throat, “Yes—always.”

“I miss him, too. Him and Sasha.”

“Well, they might be taking a stroll right now by the beach just like us.” She forced a smile.

They fell silent, retreating their gazes back to the beach; the sun was already setting, diffusing the orange hue across the beach and sky.

“Ma—“

“Hmm?” she turned to her.

“I’m happy doing this with you,” her eyes lit up before throwing herself at her mother for another heart-warming embrace.

“I’m happy, too. It’s an honor to be your mother,” she whispered against her ear as she caressed her hair. She felt sparks of joy, her daughter, was her joy. She loved her more than anything or anyone in the world. Lucky was she, to be beside her and watch her grow up and become a lady.

“I wonder what good deed I must have done to deserve such a loving and strong mother like you.”

“You were born—that’s the best deed that you have done.”

“I love you, Grace.” Her arms tightened around her, feeling the warmth of her daughter.

“I love you more, Ma.”

They stayed like that for a lengthy minute before Grace pulled herself away and exclaimed, “He’s here!” Her eyes glistened as she stared at someone behind her.

“Who is?” she asked but Grace was already running towards their house—away from the shore. She turned around, her gaze followed towards Grace’s direction.

“Dada!” Grace cried out.

She heaved a sigh as a relieved smile formed on her lips.

“My name is Kathryn Bernardo, 40 years old. Years ago, I was caught in a tragic car accident with my husband, which had cost me my memories, my husband, my life. I lived a depressed life, but only after re-meeting my husband, Quen, have I remembered how wonderful my life was..is. I had experienced loneliness, pain, anger, guilt, happiness, and love. My husband, Quen, was there for me. So was my daughter, Grace. I had my own family whom I almost didn’t remember. I thank God for giving me another chance to live and have them in my life. I am blessed. Quen was right, I only had to keep on walking against the darkness, through the end of the doomed tunnel, because there he was, there he had always been, waiting for me. My memories might have failed me once, but he never did. And as I continue to walk through my lasting days, if I ever get lost once again, I know where I can find tranquil and serenity, he had laid the path down way before I could even ask him to. And whenever I feel this emptiness in my heart as I miss him, I search for him—in my heart. Because he is in my heart--- Always. “

++++++

A/N:

I'll make a very long AN about  my journey with this story with you tomorrow or later. It's already 5 in the morning so I can't think clearly. My nocturnal intelligence has dissipated by now. HAHAHA. Thank you and I apologize for any typos or grammatical errors, or spelling errors. I mean.... I'm like a dumb poatato right now and I remember promising you guys to finish the story before the year ends so here it is. I know not all of you will like the ending. But still thank you. If you have any questions, you can comment below and I'll answer them back tomorrow along with my AN. Although this one looks long enough. but naaaaah. Okay bye. Love you guys! :)