Chapter 30

A/N: Please listen to Hurt by Johnny Cash on the side. Thanks!

+++++++++

“Kathryn, Marry me.” He bent on one knee breathlessly and brought out the silver ring from his pocket.

Her eyes surveyed his face as if waiting for him to laugh and tell her he was joking. He raised her brows at her waiting for her reply—signalling her that it was no joke. He was serious. He blinked as she frowned at the ring. He had thought that she didn’t like the ring but when she turned to Quen—who came running after them with wrathful eyes, he thought otherwise. He saw how Quen’s hands curled into fists as he displayed a restrained face. He had an idea of what was going on but he denied it. Lifting his gaze to Kath—who was still staring at Quen, fear suddenly rushed through his bloodstream.  He had just gotten out of the plane from US when he sprinted to Kath’s university gym to propose to her. He insisted on coming home albeit his father’s strong prohibitions because he can’t just leave Kath. He loved her so much.

“I can’t DJ.” She muttered weakly with apologetic eyes.

He gaped at her—right knee still planted on the ground. “What? Why?”

She glanced at Quen. He followed her gaze and caught Quen’s eyes on him. His wrathful eyes were replaced with sympathy. The idea of Kath and Quen being together tapped him on the shoulder but he kept on yanking it away. It just couldn’t be—his best friend betraying on him. He left Kathryn on Quen’s hands for 2 years and that was what he got?

“I can’t be with someone I don’t love,” she responded. That was his cue; he got up feeling the pins on his right knee and foot—cramps.

“But I love you.” He looked stupid, that he knew but he cared less.

She dropped her gaze to the floor then back to him. “We broke up for a reason, DJ. I have moved on.”

His muscles tensed. “With whom?With him?” Pointing accusingly at Quen, his eyes turned red. The accused watched him calmly.

“Yes!” she said almost shouting. “I love Quen. Unlike you, he was always there for me. He never broke his promises and he loves me more than you do.”

Her words stung his frail heart. “What made you say that?”

“I don’t need to explain anything to you. Goodbye.” She blurted out reaching for Quen’s hands and dragging him with her, passing by DJ. When Quen was 2 inches away from him, he grabbed his wrist and forcefully turned him around slugging him on his cheek after calling him, “Bastard.”

He felt a searing pain on his solar plexus in return, as he doubled over landing with his palms on the concrete. Kath shrieked as she prevented Quen from advancing on him again.

“There’s no reason for you to be mad at me. I did as you told. I took care of Kath. But I would have done it even without you telling me. I’ve been doing it even before you came into our lives,” Quen growled—his upper lip bleeding as Kath restrained him from moving towards him.

He mustered to push himself up from the ground—his sore palms trembling, “You betrayed me. How could you do this to me, you son of a bitch?!” He was about to advance when he felt Kath’s palm across his red cheek.