Chapter 4

Days passed and it seems like Kath is becoming well. She is as jolly and active as before. Most of her memories were back and she started living the normal life she had before. She usually helps in managing the resort that her family owns which is located near their house. If she’s not at home cooking, she would be at the seashore reading a book. Reading has been one of her hobbies ever since she got back.

She seemed to be totally well but she knew something else was missing that she couldn’t remember.

Her husband.

“Pa,” Kath turned to his father who was sitting beside her in the porch.

“Yes dear?”

Kath hesitated, “W-was I a good wife?”

He was a bit surprised because it’s been a long time ever since Kath talked about her husband but he gave out an assuring smile, “You are the best wife he could ever have. He is lucky to have you.”

Kath blushed and clutched her pendant, “I’d actually like to ask you where my husband’s grave is but I won’t.”

“Why not?” he asked worriedly.

“The only time that I’m gonna visit him is when I can finally remember him.I have to trust my mind.I have to trust my memory and I know I will remember everything. I have to be patient despite of all the questions I’m dying to ask everyone,” she explained.

“You know you could always ask us and we can answer you with all honesty.But we respect your decision,Kath. We will always be here for you,” he brought his arm over Kath’s shoulder and let her head lean on his chest while they watch the sunset.

That was the last time Kath mentioned his husband to her family. She had millions of questions that has yet to be answered. But she kept it all inside knowing that someday the answers will just be there knocking on her door.

The forgotten memories that have yet to be remembered will be remembered in time just like how she remembered how to cook, drive, and laugh. All she needs is patience and trust in her mind and herself. For now, she has to live with what she remembers and be thankful for every new memory she makes.

She has been enjoying every minute of the day. Watching the sun rise and sun set at the seashore, walking along the beach, reading her books, playing with the little kids in the resort, and just sitting down on the old piece of log near the shore and watch the beautiful waves. Sometimes she feels like someone’s watching her.

Once when she was reading a book while sitting on the old piece of log, she saw a guy staring at her direction through her peripheral vision. She looked to the guy’s direction but she couldn’t make out his face for he was too distant. “He must be a tourist or a neighbour just seeing around,” she thought. Then she went back to her book.

+++++++++++++++

Kath was in her room staring at the mirror.

She was thinking.

When will the memory of her husband come back?

“Patience,Kath.Patience,” she muttered to herself.

She heaved out a sigh and stared at her pendant. There must be something about the necklace that she felt as if it comes with great sentiment. A knock on the door disrupted her in the midst of her thought.

“Come in,” she called.

Carmen walked in with a grin on her face, “Kath, someone’s here to see you.”

“See me?”her eyebrows raised. “Who?”

“Just come with me downstairs,” Carmen reached for Kath’s hand and dragged her out of the room.

Just as they were going down the stairs, Kath heard voices and laughter at the living room. There was one distinct voice that was unfamiliar. It was a man’s voice.

When they reached the living room, Carmen let go of her sister’s hand, “She’s here.”

Kath walked towards the room. Her parents and sister were staring at her with big smiles.

There was a guy sitting on the couch with his back facing her.

She stared at him as he got up and turned towards her.

She stopped and stared at the good-looking man. She didn’t know him but he seemed familiar.

Everyone noticed the silence in the room.

“Well, uhh, hi Kath!” the man greeted with a grin.

“H-hi...” she shyly replied because obviously this man knows her but she couldn’t even remember him.

Her father felt the awkwardness so he walked towards the man’s side and held his shoulders, “Kath, this is Quen, your... your---“

“Bestfriend,” Quen inserted.

Kath stared at him with curiosity. She opened her mouth but closed it right away.