Chapter 21

After the mass, they went to Kath’s place for lunch.

Quen and Baby Grace were at the veranda playing with Sasha and Mr. Bernardo while DJ, Carmen, Mrs. Bernardo, and Kath were inside the house preparing the table.

“Come on inside now, Lunch is ready!” Mrs. Bernardo called out to them as she picked Baby Grace up who was walking towards the door limply.

When Quen reached the dining area he saw DJ sitting on his chair beside Kath. He raised a brow and approached an unoccupied chair near Carmen.

“Looks like I’ll be sitting beside you since my chair is already taken,” he sarcastically smiled at Carmen then to DJ.

Carmen looked at him indifferently.

There was silence at first then DJ spoke, “ Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know you sit here, let’s just exchange seats.”

“Oh no no, that’s fine! Sit down, sit down. Kath might think I’m being rude again,” he faked a smile at DJ who was about to stand up.

Kath shot him another glare of fury and turned to DJ.

“It’s ok DJ, he’s just fooling around.”

“Fooling around? That’s really funny, Kath! Now tell me DJ, do you know anything about fooling around?” he leaned forward and rested his head on his clasped hands like a kid eager to listen to a fairy tale.

There was another silence. DJ looked at him uncomfortably.

“C’mon, of course you do! Say for example, the accident. That was the biggest fooling around you did. You deserve an applause for that!” he clapped and laughed sarcastically.

“Quen!” Kath gritted through her teeth.

“What?”

“That’s enough. Let’s just eat,” Mrs Bernardo beamed at them trying to ignore the tension that was about to rise.

“Yeah, we should. I’m really hungry already,” Mr. Bernardo added.

“Rice,please,” Carmen elbowed Quen who was still staring at DJ.

Quen broke the stare and passed her the rice. After which he put some food on his plate but he can’t help but watch Kath serving DJ with food on his plate.

“Here, have some kare-kare,” Kath smiled at DJ as she put some on his plate.

“Thanks,” he muttered. He tried hard not to look towards Quen’s direction for he is aware of his eyes watching him.