Chapter 9

“Quen, let’s go to your house!” she beamed as they walked back to her house.

Quen’s mouth hung open. Kath closed it for him.

“C’mon! You gotta make me some breakfast,” she pleaded.

He held the back of his head and bit his lip.

“What? You don’t want me in your house? Is there someone there that you’re hiding from me?” Kath’s forehead creased.

Quen was hesitant.

“Did your wife---“

“Okay okay fine,let’s go,” Quen interrupted.

Kath was confused at first but was excited afterwards.

After a few walks from their house, they finally reached Quen’s place.

Kath stopped to stare at the beautiful hanging garden beside the veranda.

Quen went up the stairs to the veranda and tied Sasha’s leash on one of the posts. He turned around and saw Kath eyeing the house as if in awe.

“Kath?” he called out.

Kath immediately snapped out of trance and stared back at Quen.

“Is there something wrong?” he asked with a smile.

“N-nothing, your house is beautiful,” she smiled and went up the stairs. She stared at the garden.

“You do the gardening?” she asked.

Quen chuckled, “Yeah.”

“Interesting,” she clicked her tongue.

“But Manang Fe takes care of it for me when I’m not around,” he added.

“Manang Fe?”

A woman in her 60s came out from the sliding door just in time. She was carrying a laundry basket and was busy trying to keep the clothes from falling off.

“Quen, you’re back. I already prepared breakfast and—“ she paused when she saw Kath.

She stared longingly at Kath then at Quen. Her eyes were becoming watery. Quen smiled at her and took the laundry basket.

She slowly walked towards Kath and held her shoulders. She was trying hard to stop her tears from flowing but they already did.