Chapter 5

Kath and Quen decided to catch up with each other. They sat down at the old piece of log near the shore and took in the fresh breeze coming from the beach. They watched the waves silently as the morning sun brought warmth to their skin.

“Q-Quen, right?” Kath finally broke the silence.

Quen shifted his gaze from the beach to the lady beside her, “Yeah.”

“How are you, Quen?” she asked.

“I’m fine actually. How about you?” he squinted trying to avoid the sunlight.

“I’m good,”

“That’s good,” he smiled.

There was another awkward silence.

“Hey Quen,” she trailed.

Quen raised his brows at her.

“If  you really are my bestfriend, why didn’t you visit me when I came home? Why just now?” she asked. There was a hint of disappointment in her tone.

“Well, I had to keep my distance. Don’t worry I was watching over you since you came back,” he answered with glee.

“Watching? You mean like you’re stalking me?” she questioned accusingly.

“No. Uhm..It’s more like of uhmm..” he stammered.

“keeping an eye on me at a distance?”

“Yeah. That’s it. Keeping an eye on you at a distance,” he clicked his tongue in relief.

“well, you must have a very good eyesight to do that.” Kath grinned.

“Haha. Yeah, I think I do,” he scratched his head.

There was silence as both watched the two kids from afar who were trying to build a sand castle but failed when the waves crashed through the shore.

 “So why were you keeping your distance from me?” she asked with her eyes still on the kids who tried to build another sand castle.

“Well..” he hesitated.

“Let me guess. I did something really bad to you, didn’t I?” she now turned her attention to Quen who glanced at her and snorted.

“Yeah, you bit me! And I bled!” he accused.