Chapter 18

“What?!?” Quen exclaimed.

“Dr. Guzman, this is absurd. I won’t let this happen!” he said through the phone.

Kath’s family watched Quen as he paced back in forth in the living room. Kath wasn’t home. She left early and no one knew where she went. Quen was about to look for her before Dr. Guzman phoned him.

“How long will it take?” he asked.

Mr and Mrs Bernardo exchanged worried glances as Quen continued pacing back and forth with his hand on his head.

“Do we really have to do this?....Okay fine. For Kath,” Quen looked defeated.

“Okay Thanks, Dr. Guzman. Yeah. Bye,” He dropped the line.

Quen slumped on the couch in front of Kath’s family and wiped his face.

“Son, let it be,” Mr. Bernardo said.

“We already talked to DJ. I don’t think he’ll be doing the same mistake again,” Carmen inserted.

“I just...don’t trust him anymore,” he reasoned out.

“We have to,” Mrs Bernardo held Quen’s shoulder.

“He’s our only hope. He is Kath’s hope,” she added.

 The words just stung him.

“Remember, he has every right to be in Kath’s life despite of everything that happened. He is after all, DJ,” Mrs Bernardo stated in a matter-of-factly tone.

Now that was a double strike. It was the truth. DJ has the right. He’s defeated. He can’t do anything about it. He just hopes that Kath would recover her memories sooner. And DJ, as unacceptable as it seems, is their hope for now. He is DJ after all and he is just Quen, the bestfriend.

Just when everything is starting to be okay, he sprouted like an unwanted mushroom. What’s going to happen between him and Kath? Will everything change again? Why? Why now? Why did he even come back?

All of these were running in his mind as he stared at the car window. Tim was driving Quen to the town where Kath saw DJ, thinking that she might be there.

They got off the road and started roaming around as the familiar place kept them in trace. Just when Quen was about to enter a narrow pavement, he saw DJ, 30 meters away from him, standing outside an apartment staring into mid-air as he leaned on his bike lazily.

He started walking towards him.

“Where’s Kath?” he bluntly asked.

DJ, who seemed startled, immediately stood up, “Quen.”

“Where is she?”

He hesitated, “She—she just left.”

Quen continuously glared at DJ and questioned his existence in his mind. Without a word, he started walking away from him.

“Wait, Quen!” DJ called out but Quen continued walking.

“Quen! Wait!” he took a few steps.

Irritated, Quen turned around and shot him a glare, “What?”

“We need to talk.”

“No, thanks!”

“No. Quen, We need to talk. About Kath.” He emphasized every word he said.

This seemed to stop Quen from walking again. He thought that he was right. They had to talk. Even though he would do everything to get this man out of his sight, he had to agree with him on this one.

They need to talk.