Riding In Cars

I thanked the moon goddess (like I had on many other occasions of sneaking out of the house) for our one story house and walked toward town.

I didn't get very far before someone recognized me.

"You need a lift somewhere?" He asked.

I looked at him, Patrick...he had been the one who had found me at the gas station that day, now that I think about it, I hadn't asked about Mariah...or thanked him.

"Yeah." I said as I let myself into the car.

"Let me guess...you going to the hospital?" He said.

I nodded.

"Well then you're lucky I stopped you, Vance isn't at the hospital in town...he's on the edge of my side of town."

I didn't ask why, I knew the hospital he was talking about was known for surgery...it wasn't on the best side of town but that is because our neighboring city is bigger so they can cater to them as well.

"I have about an hour before my parent come looking for me." I acknowledged.

He shrugged, "I'll get you there faster than you'd of gotten on foot."

"Hey Pat...I never really got the chance to...-"

"Don't." He cut me off.

I looked at him and he shook his head but smirked.

"I don't want a 'thank you', and if you think for one minute i'm going to just become friends with your bratty ass you're obviously still concussed.

I smirked this time, "jackass." We both knew that was as good as a thank you when it came to us.

"How's Mariah?" I asked to change the subject.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

I looked at him, he was looking straight at the road. "But she was with you that day."

"Look" he cut me off from saying anything else. "I'm going to tell you just like I told Harper, Mariah was just some girl I picked up at a gas station, we were both on our way out of town when we happened to stop and fuel up at the gas station you were at, that's it." He said.

I knew there was more.

"You can't lie to me Patrick, I was there with y'all...in the car, in the motel room." I pointed out.

He remained silent.

I wasn't an idiot...I know what I saw and felt between them. "Fine you won't tell me, how about I ask you and you can tell me 'yes' or 'no.'"

He remained silent and drove on, so I proceeded.

"Had you known her before you picked her up at a gas station?" I asked.

"No."

I honestly didn't know if he'd go along with me asking him anything so I struck while the iron was hot.

I nodded, "okay, we're you two really going out of town?"

"Yes."