Saying Goodbye

Within a matter of days Mariah and her brother were here in town and planning for their mother's funeral.

Patrick hadn't come home.

And I was now the owner of a wedding dress I would've never chosen for myself.

But to be honest, the wedding was the last thing on my mind. So sadly I had gotten into the mind frame of wishing it were over and done with already, something I didn't exactly divulge to anyone with the worry that they would voice my concern of being a bad person.

Vance is so excited, as well as our family and friends.

"You okay?" Mariah asked.

I had to talk about it with someone, I couldn't keep bottling everything up.

I sighed, before letting her in on everything.

"...I really do love Vance and I do want to marry him, but why the rush?"

She just sat there and let me vent.

"It just seems like everyone around me is going a hundred miles an hour with this wedding stuff and I'm just standing on the outside looking in as my mom and Mrs Cage make decisions on linens and chairs, candle light or fairy lights, DJ or band...meanwhile I also don't have this super huge impulse to jump in and just say...I don't want any of this...like I'm numb."

"Then what do you want?" She asked gently.

"I just want to be Vance's wife....I just wish we didn't have to include all of the bells and whistles to make that happen."

"So then elope." She offered.

I shook my head, "it's become such a big event and our parents have invested so much time and money that it would just be a huge slap in the face if we didn't go through with it now."

"I'm sorry then."

I shrugged, "just letting me vent helped enough...plus, I'm actually looking forward to having my honeymoon."

"I bet you are." She smirked suggestively.

I rolled my eyes but smiled.

"Anyways, sorry for spilling this all on you...I know you've got your own shit to deal with."

She simply shrugged, "no apology necessary, that's what friends are for."

I hugged her, Since coming back Mariah had decided to stay with Vance and I since being at her mom's house was too sad for her.

"How's your brother?"

She shrugged and sighed, "I know it's hard for him being here ya know...he was born and raised in Cali and obviously he stayed with Dad when our parent broke up...then almost a year later I was born, now don't get me wrong I love frank and I know he loves and cares for me...but a part of me has always thought he didn't like that mom and I were so close...whatever, I know he doesn't want to move into the house."

"Why?"

"Because it isn't his home...I think deep down he really wants to sell it if he can." She said sadly.

I shook my head, "I don't know your brother very well but I can't imagine he'd do that...just give him time to process everything."

She hugged me this time and we called it a night.

__________

When the weekend rolled around I found myself pulling on a black dress and flats, Vance grabbed my hand and didn't let go of it for the rest of the day.

We sat on the hard folding chairs, a canopy shielding us from the bright sun, I watched motionless as one of my best friends said goodbye to her mother, a lady I had know for more than half my life. Someone who has always been so kind and funny, she opened her home to Harper and I, she fed us, gave us rides, talked to us...and now she was gone.