Now or Never

Vance

A full week had gone by now, and with the permission of her father I found myself now playing the waiting game.

I knew how I wanted to propose to Elise but I had to wait until we were moved into the new place. I figured it would make things more special, like not only is it our first house, but it's also the place we got engaged.

"You excited?" I asked before looking over at Elise. She had come over to help me with the last of my packing.

"Huh...excited for what?" She asked as if I'd caught her doing something wrong.

I smiled, "pick one: last day of school, summer break, moving into the house."

She smiled sheepishly, "sorry just been sorta distracted lately." She admitted.

"It's a lot and I get it..." I said as I took her into my arms and kissed her. "But I'll be right alongside you as we go through it all okay?"

She kissed me and nodded, "Just promise to stay by myside and I'm down for anything."

"Always Babe." I said before we got back to work.

But as I'd been moving all of my stuff in since I got the keys it wasn't much that needed to be boxed to begin with.

I was taping up my last box when I noticed her sitting on the bed, almost lost in thought as she looked out the window. "Hey when we're finished up here I can take the rest of the boxes over to your parents and we can start getting your stuff all packed."

"Elise?" I asked when she didn't respond.

To be honest I had noticed she had been kind of silent these past couple of days, distant almost.

"Ellie Baby...are you alright?"

She looked at me now, "I'm sorry, I was thinking about Mariah...I hope she made it okay."

She had told me Mariah had to go back to California to help her brother get everything ready so they could move down here. To be honest I was so glad Mariah didn't ask Elise to go with her as I still can't shake this never ending jealousy. I try to hide it as much as I can as it isn't fair to Elise, but it's still there, ever present and a glaring reminder of why it's there.

"That's alright Babe, and I'm sure she's probably still on the plane...if I know you two she'll text you as soon as she lands."

"Yeah," She agreed.

"So I was asking if you want me to take the left over boxes over to your place so you can start packing?"

She finally let out a sigh, "I'm sorry baby, I haven't been able to tell my parents about the house, and in turn I was worried about telling you."

I breathed a sigh of relief, "is that what's been bothering you?" I asked. "I am not mad, I know this isn't easy for you...trust me it's only easy for me because I basically already don't live with my parents...I've been in the frat house since I started college, and only stay with my parents when schools out...but If you want I can go with you to tell your parents, but like it or not babe; they've gotta know eventually if you plan on moving in with me." I smiled.