Worries

For the next couple of days I was determined to figure out what happened to Mariah and her mother.

They couldn't have just vanished without so much as a goodbye to somebody.

We had called Dad and Brax over and even though they both heard us out Dad spoke against us looking further into it.

"My loves...If they wanted people to know anything I'm sure they would've mentioned something to someone on their way out of town." Dad offered as gently as he could.

"But Joan's Van Buren's car is still there, and they're still getting mail there." Mom put in, her own concern etched in her worried brow. "Rich, these aren't just neighbors but It's Mariah and Joan, we've known the both of them since the girls became friends."

He sighed while my cousin comfortably took a seat on the sofa across from me.

"Come on Brax...you met Mariah, I know you don't know her well but you know she's mine and Harpers friend." I offered.

"Ellie, I don't know what to say...I mean I'll ask around but I can't promise anything nor will I get anymore involved, she isn't part of my pack therefore she isn't my concern."

His words felt harsh to me but I know he was speaking the truth.

"What if she were part of the pack Brax?"

"She's a human Ellie, you can't just go around allowing humans into the pack." He said a little humored, "it just doesn't work that way."

"You'd show more of an interest if she was someone's mate."

He nodded in agreement, "that would be something worth discussing, but to my knowledge Mariah is NOT anyone in my pack's mate."

I remained silent, I knew I couldn't tell him she is someone's mate...his own cousins mate no less...and we both knew the subject had been dropped.

"How's my boy doing?"

I wanted to be upset that he'd all but disregarded my concern for Mariah and Joan, but I couldn't help but smile at the mention of my mate, "he gets out tomorrow...he's thrilled to finally be able to come home, not so excited that he'll be in a wheelchair for a while, but baby steps."

"Just make sure he doesn't over work himself."

"Hey Brax can I ask you something." I asked a little worried.

"Anything kiddo."

I gave him a sad sort of smile. "Well it's just, I've been wondering...now that Vance and I don't have our wolves anymore, how's that gonna work with us and being a part of the pack?"

He sighed heavily as he looked at my parents...I'm guessing they must've all had this conversation while I was unconscious.

"It's just, without our wolves we're vulnerable and much weaker than we were, we can't exactly contribute like we use to, will Vance have to be replaced as an Elite member?"

"Ellie...calm down okay." He sounded softly. "Everything will remain exactly the same, you are both extremely valuable members of my pack and I will still need the both of you just as much as I did before...no one is replacing either of you and don't ever let me hear you say my little cousin is weak."

I smiled, "thanks Brax."

"Anytime...is there anything else I can help you with before I take off?"

I was just about to say 'no' but then actually thought of something he could help me with. "Could you give me Patrick's number... shocking, I know...but whatever, It's just, I don't think I even told him thank you."