Calls pt 2

VANCE

For nearly a week I had been persistently pushing my body past its limits against my parents wishes as well as my own better judgement.

"Hey man I know how strong you are." Braxton said as he watched me walk with the help of my physical therapist, "but maybe you should give your body a break."

I shook my head in defiance.

"I'm further progress wise than anyone thought I would be, and that's because I didn't give up when shit got hard."

"And no one is questioning your capabilities man, just try and remember that you're still on the mend."

Just then my PT handed me my cane and stepped back. I was still adjusting to shifting my weight properly but had pretty much gotten my footing down.

"I hate to admit it." My PT sounded, "but he's right, he's exceeded my expectations of him Alpha, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's walking on his own by this weekend."

Braxton shook his head, "if that's the case then we need to start talking about your new duties when it comes to the Elite 30."

My heart raced a little, I knew I wasn't capable of shifting anymore but I couldn't imagine a life where I wasn't a part of the Elite 30 anymore.

"Look, you're one of my best friends as well as basically my future cousin in law so there's no way in hell I'd ever think about getting rid of you." Braxton said, he must've picked up on my anxiousness. "Actually I was going to ask if you'd be willing to take on George's old job?"

I remained silent as I tried to think about all of the things our pack member George does, he's essentially the behind the scenes guy...the older brother that gets shit done if you will.

If the frat house needs shopping done, he does it. Masquerade ball, he coordinates it, he takes care of the guys in the house and it's rare you ever see him not busy.

"I know it's a lot to ask of you, but this way you'll be off the front lines so to speak, but you'd still be a part of us."

I nodded my understanding.

"I don't really know what to say Alpha."

He shook his head, "I'm not asking as your alpha...I'm offering it to you as a friend so don't think you have to accept it if it's something you don't really want, think about it though."

And after that he left.

Two days later I felt better about my decision to take Braxton up on his offer to take pack member George's position in the Elite 30.

It was getting pretty late but as I walked around the backyard (walking around merely because I could do so without a cane now) I thought about calling him to let him know I'd accept his offer.

I pulled out my cellphone but thought against it as I realized that it was already a little past 10 at night and Braxton would more than likely be with his mate...wouldn't want to disturb that.

I was just about to walk back inside when my phone rang, I looked to see my mates beautiful face fill the screen as my saved picture for her lit up my phone.

"Hey Baby, what's up?" I answered, I couldn't keep the huge smile from my face.

"Vance..."

That's all she said before she started sobbing.

My stomach flipped with worry, had Elise been taken again, and worse...this time she was all alone.