Lock Down

And just like Tommy mentioned, our parents had shown up...Vance (because of his medication) had fallen to sleep and I laid there pretending for a while as they walked in.

"We were so worried that with their wolves gone they wouldn't...feel as strongly for one another anymore." My dad said. "We were hesitant to let her come because Rebecca and I didn't want that to be true."

"We know what you mean." Vance's Mom replied now, "He's been asking for her every since he first woke up...Of course we know he loves her but we weren't sure if it was his love for her or their mates bond still there?"

"Well I'm just glad they're both alright and can still say they have each other." Mom said, "They've lost enough, I'd hate to know they've lost one another as well." She said before she started rubbing my back.

I let my eyes open up and acted like I didn't know they were there. "Mom?"

"Hey honey...we were worried about you." She said sweetly, my dad shook his head but smiled behind her.

I ignored her comment and got up...careful not to wake Vance up.

His parents were happy to find me there, they embraced me tightly and told me how relieved they were that I was fine and that I had come to visit their son.

And while they were both glad to see me, they were just as concerned for my well being as my own parents.

"Are you alright?"
"Do you need to rest?"
"Does anything hurt?"

"Stop babying her." Vance suddenly said, slowly scooting himself up on his pillows, "She's tougher than she looks... always has been." He said with a smirk and a wink just for me.

"Seriously you guys...I'm fine" I sighed. "The doctor cleared me...and he wouldn't have done so if he didn't think everything was as good as it's going to get."

Just then Vance's Dad came over and pulled me into a hug, this was nothing new...Vance once said, "You know my dad...as big and intimidating as he is, is only soft with you and Mom."

And it was true... I'd go over to their house, and I would always find him on the sofa watching whatever game was one and I'd give him a soft kiss on the cheek, He would absolutely blush... of course I'd go and find Mrs Cage and do the same with her as well, but what can I say...I love my Mate's family like my own, and they loved me.

"You may be cleared, but you still shouldn't have snuck off like you did Darlin'...after everything that's happened with you and Vance turning up missing...your parents had every right to worry." He said with genuine concern as he moved to look down at me now

I sighed and nodded as I stepped out of his hug, "I know...and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone worry...and if it helps any I got a ride to the hospital so it's not like I walked the whole way...and please don't ask who gave me a ride because we all know I won't say."

Then I walked over to Vance and took his hand into mine, "But I needed to come...I, I just wanted to come and see Vance, I had to know he was alright."

"Ellie sweetie we told you he was doing well." My mother put in.

I shrugged, "I know...but I needed to see for myself, he's still my mate."

And as I said the words I accepted them as well. Wolf or no wolf, Vance had been and always will be my mate and I'd wager that nothing could ever change that.

"And you all have mates so you know that gut feeling you get, that instinct that you are away from your mate or that something is wrong...but for Vance and I that is gone, the urge, the gut instinct...We can't rely on our Mates Bond or our Mates Pull...So we have to go on our love for one another and honest communication...so even though I was told he was alright, I had to see it for myself to believe it."