Confusion & Half Truths

I got out of the car and graciously thanked Vance's mom for the ride.

I wasn't thinking when I dropped off all of the stuff Vance had ever given me, it didn't hit me until I had gotten to his place that the gifts included my car...or rather, the car he purchased.

"Thanks for the ride Mrs Cage."

His mother gave me a soft smile and nodded her head, "anytime honey...I, well I know it's not really my place, but honey...whatever happened between you and Vance, well it's best to talk to each other."

This time I was the one that nodded, what had Vance told her?

"Thanks again." I replied awkwardly as I waved a final goodbye and let myself into the house, but I found no solace there as soon my mother approached me.

"I bet Vance was glad to see you." She smiled unknowingly.

Meanwhile her little statement had brought to light the fact that I didn't exactly know if Vance and I were officially over, I mean I guess it was basically implied and I can't imagine he'd want to be with me either way...but I was a coward and couldn't bring myself to tell her the truth.

"He was glad I'm back, and seeing him just reconfirmed how much I missed him and need him around me constantly."

"Well I'm glad you two got to see each other, you should invite him over for dinner."

That was the last thing I wanted right now.

"Mom I'm still kinda tired from the trip." I lied.

She gave me a look of concern, "that's understandable sweetie...I guess your dad and I will see Vance tomorrow night then."

"What's happening tomorrow night?"

"Oh I forgot you weren't here," she said a little absentmindedly. "Well one of the council members is coming to speak with Harper about her future role with the pack, and per proper etiquette the Alpha has to throw a three day celebration in honor of the council members arrival."

"Poor Harper."

She nodded, "she's definitely got her work cut out...but her mate will be right by her side to help ease her into everything."

"Brax had better be as accommodating with Harper as possible, she's not use to any of this, I bet she's freakin out...I should call her."

I excused myself and made my way into my bedroom. I had in fact called Harper but got the voicemail treatment which told me she was more than likely with my cousin so I called Mariah instead.

"I was wondering when I'd hear from you...have you seen Vance yet?"

I sighed, "I actually just left the park from talking with him."

"Annnnd?"

I began to tear up, "he let some slut blow him."

"Oh Ellie..."

"Worst part is I don't know what's going on with us." I admitted. "I seriously hate that you're the only person I can talk about this with and you're not even here."

"I know but I promise I'm trying to come back home soon." She said.

There was a long pause before she let out a heavy sigh, "can I be real with you Ellie?"

I nodded knowing fully well that she couldn't see me, "yeah."

"So I know what happened with Vance sucks...but girl, if he's willing to be with you I think you should try and forgive him."

I rolled my eyes, "easier said than done."

"Elise you two are mates and it was just a blowjob."

"For one I can't believe you're taking his side right now and for two I don't even know if we're mates anymore,"

"Okay for starters I'm not taking anyone's side Elise, yes you and I are friends but out of the two wrongs that you both did...his is a little more forgivable, not to say that you shouldn't be pissed, I mean I would definitely be super pissed, but I'd be able to get over it, and what do you mean you're not mates anymore...is that like a thing?"

I was frustrated but knew she meant well.

"No mates don't just stop being mates...you remember those rogues and their poisonous rope I told you about?" I asked. "Well it basically shut down mine and Vance's wolves so without wolves we don't have our invisible mates Pull anymore...it's hard to explain."

"No I get it, your wolf was like your subconscious and without it, you basically went wild with no real moral compass to keep you and Vance from doing the bad shit...so you're like a full human now."

I sighed, "flaws and all."

"Tough shit dude...but you two love each other, I'm sure you'll work it out."

It went silent before she spoke up again. "H-have you seen Patrick around?"

My heart fell for her, here I have my guy and I'm messing it up, and all she wants is to be with hers and can't due to circumstance.

"Sorry chica, I haven't seen him since I got in, if I see him this weekend should I tell him hi for you or something?"

"I don't think he'd want to hear it, hell I wouldn't blame him if he never wanted to speak to me again."

"What happened that night Mariah?" I finally asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

"I fucked up is what happened...hey I should go, it's getting pretty late and I have an early shift tomorrow."

We said our goodbyes before I too locked myself away in my room.

I laid on my bed and contemplated her words, she was essentially right, Vance and I had both messed up, we acted without thinking and maybe a part of it is the fact that our wolves aren't there anymore to keep us from looking at other people.

Just like she pointed out Vance and I are just humans now and as such we are filled with so many urges and emotions and now it's up to us to navigate through it all.

As much as I wasn't looking forward to seeing Vance again (mostly due to my own guilt) I knew that he and I would have to actually talk it out, see where we go from here.

With a heavy sigh I reached for my cellphone and I text Vance once more.

[Elise: I'm a bitch, I fucked up...we really do need to talk before tomorrow night tho...I don't want to lose you Vanny]

I felt nervous as I sat there waiting for a response.

He finally text me back.

[Vance: I've been an asshole, we both made mistakes...come over whenever.]