Truths

We finally pulled up to a really modern looking home about an hour away from the original location.

"It's not as close to the beach as I had imagined." I commented.

She sighed heavily as we got out of the car, ""My brother had to give up his loft when when I came to live with him."

"Why'd you come and live with him?"

"Hey!" She sounded upset, "my questions first then I'll answer all of yours."

I didn't like this arrangement but knew I didn't have much of a choice if I wanted answers, "fine."

She unlocked the front door and walked us in, she kicked off her shoes and I copied her actions (not wanting to disrespect her brothers home) before we entered a tidy sitting area...the whole place was just like his car, sleek and expensive.

"Do you want anything to drink?" She asked cordially.

"Water if you have it." I sounded, she nodded. It felt so strange, I could almost sense that the tension was going to rise any minute.

When she returned with two bottles of water I took one and she opened the other, she sat on the sofa opposite the one I sat on and we just looked at each other.

"Well if you're going to ask me something you'd better hurry up...are we alone?" I asked.

"Yes, my brother won't be home until late."

I nodded.

Once again she sighed heavily "let me start off by apologizing."

I wasn't expecting that.

"I know I was a complete bitch to you and H and to be honest it was only because I was going through some shit and I felt like you two were becoming closer and forgetting about me in the process, so instead of being forgotten, I acted on impulse and pushed y'all away...sort of hurt y'all before you could hurt me."

"That doesn't make it alright Mariah."

"I know, " she replied, "it doesn't change or excuse what I've done, I'm only confessing and apologizing so that we can move forward...that being said, I want to talk about some stuff Patrick brought up, and I'm gonna need the truth otherwise you can leave and don't bother coming back."

Now my heart was racing, what in the hell could Patrick have possibly told her that would cause her to run away to California?

"Are you and everyone we grew up with werewolves?"

I took in a deep breath, "Sort of."

She shot me a death glare as a warning and I held my hands up in a sign of peace before I explained.

"What I mean in not EVERY ONE of us are Weres, but a good majority are...Tommy and his boys, Me, My cousin Brax...all the guys you met at the lake house...-"

"And Harper?" She asked.

I could pick up on the hint of sadness now.I knew she was hurting from being left out, Mariah's always had FOMO.I shook my head, "No, H isn't but she knows about us...Brax told her."

"Because they're mates?"

I already knew Patrick and Mariah are mates, so I figured he'd claim her...and in doing so I was glad to hear he'd told her at least about mates...just wasn't sure the full extent.

"Yeah...Brax and Harper are mates, Ok I'll just start at the top okay?"

She nodded and I took a deep breath.