Babysitting

School had come and just like every school day (before I got injured), I pulled up to Harpers place to pick her up.

She came out of the house followed by her mom, I rolled down my window and waved back.

"Have a good day girls."

We waved bye and I drove off.

"Thanks for picking me up Ellie, as much as I loved riding with Braxton, I could tell it was a hindrance."

"I'm sure that isn't true H." I sounded, I hadn't even thought how she was getting to school in my absence. "Brax would do anything for you, even turn up late to his own classes."

She nodded. "Tell me about it, have you heard about Patrick?"

I nodded, "I found out last night."

She shook her head now, "I know Braxton means well but having Patrick move, in the middle of his senior year no less...it just seems excessive."

I shrugged and drove on, "that's and Alpha for you.

It grew quiet before she spoke up again.

"He also told me that you went to California to find Mariah?"

"Yeah." I said a little more enthusiastic this time, "she's good, she's staying with her brother right now and she just finished up her online high school classes so as soon as she gets her diploma she'll technically be a high school graduate."

And that's all she needed to come back, see so long as you're 17 and have a high school diploma (or equivalent certification) then in the eyes of the law you are considered a legal adult.

"Why'd she just up and leave without saying anything to anyone?"

I don't know if Mariah wanted anyone to know but it's Harper not only is she one of our best friends but she's also my future Luna.

I sighed, "she actually asked me not to tell anyone...but I text you her number right?"

"Yeah just been busy..." she sighed as she looked out the window this time. "It's a lot more than I expected."

I could tell something was bothering her though. "Well I'm no Luna but I'm always here if you need to talk."

But in true Harper fashion...She simply smiled and nodded as if to silently say she's fine.

Soon we were pulling up to the School. The parking lot was filling up quickly and luckily I found a spot near the front.

Tommy was already there as was Patrick.

"This should be...interesting." Harper sounded.

"To say the least." I put in.

We walked over to them and the tension was thick.

"Ladies." Tommy said to break the ice.

"Gentlmen." Harper added kindly.

But it was Patrick and I who were notably the most uncomfortable.

"Patrick." I said trying to acknowledge him, yes he helped me when I needed it, and when talking about Mariah we seemed to be on good terms...but it still didn't take away from the fact that he has hated me pretty much my whole life.

"Elise." He replied, "we need to talk...alone."

Tommy and Harper stared at us before I asked him to escort Harper to her first period.

Once they were out of ear shot he didn't hold back.

"Ground rules, I don't want you to feel like you own me something for helping you so get that out of your head real quick." He said matter of factly. "Also I don't want to hear shit about Mariah, like I said before she's a chick I met on my way out of town...no more no less, and lastly Harper and I have a rough past, I don't want to talk about and I know damn well she doesn't want to talk about it...that's that are we good?"

I crossed my arms over my chest and went toe to toe with him.

"First off I wasn't going to try and become your best friend for doing the right thing for once so there's that, second Mariah is one of Harper's and my best friend so she will be brought up frequently, have an issue take it up with Braxton but you can count on me to keep your secret as it's also her secret and I know for a fact she'd die if anyone found out without her telling them personally."

"What's that suppose to mean." He asked.

I ignored him.

"And lastly whatever happened between you and Harper in the past can stay in the past unless you make her uncomfortable for any reason because rest assured Patty I don't need my wolf to kick your ass."

He glared at me and I knew he still despised me.

The feeling was mutual.

I knew if the day ever came that he and Mariah actually did decide to date and give into their mates Pull then I'd have to deal with him on good terms, but for now as she's still gone I had no qualms with still thinking he's a self entitled prick.

The bell rung.

"I have to go to class." I announced, I'm in the D building.

"I have to pick up my schedule." He said in protest.

I shrugged, "sounds like a personal problem, now hurry up before I'm late."

"I'm tasked with watching Harper not you!" He growled.

"And look how well you're doing...wouldn't Braxton just love to hear how on the first day you already failed at keeping an eye on her."

If looks could kill I'd be dead, "hurry the fuck up you brat."

I smiled, "that's no way to speak to a lady."

He rolled his eyes, "we both know you're no lady."

I nudged him as I walked in front of him, I ignored him as he followed me to my classroom, "no doubt Braxton will have set up your classes with Harper's so that you can stay with her for 'safety'." I said with air quotes, "her first class is only two doors down from here, the teacher should have a copy of your schedule."

He looked at me, unknowing what to say.

"You're welcome asshat." I said before I let myself into my classroom and began my day.