Relaxation

Vance

I could tell that Elise was bothered by Patrick's bringing a girl to the lake house, for as long as I've known them I knew they basically hated each other but no one really gets their beef...So we all kinda of roll with it.

"Hey babe." I said as I found Elise in the room.

She turned to face me and gave me a half hearted smile, "hey."

"I get that you don't want Patrick here...but he is and there isn't anything we can do about it especially locking yourself in the room sulking."

"You don't get it." She said almost sadly. "It's not that he's here...it's that he's here with another girl."

Jealousy instantly hit me but I knew I had to be as rational about this as I could.

"I'm going to ask you this once, and I need complete honesty Elise...do you have feelings for Patrick?"

"What?"

"Is that why you're upset about him bringing a girl along?" I asked for clarification.

Elise looked livid, "I could kill you if I didn't love you Vance Cage...no I absolutely do NOT have feelings for Patrick other than loathing and sometimes sadness but never ever could I find myself attracted to him, plus like you said, as much as we hate each other, we're practically family."

I sat down next to her in the bed, "I'm sorry, I hate that I can't control this jealousy."

She rested her head on my shoulder, "I get it, and it's something we both have to work on."

Then she sighed, "as my mate if I tell you something you promise you'll keep it to yourself."

I nodded.

"Mariah is Patrick's Mate."

I was surprised to hear it, I mean that kid has been seen all around town with several different young ladies at any given time...and he has a Mate?

"Does he know she's his mate?" I asked confused. "I mean what Were would openly cheat on their Mate?"

"Patrick Westbrook would...And yes he does know."

She told me everything, how apparently Patrick and Mariah met at a gas station as they were both trying to leave town, Mariah needed to leave because her mother is deathly ill and Patrick was trying to find his dad for whatever reason.

"After they'd found me they brought me back home but that's where Mariah told Pat that she couldn't be with him and she left because she had no other choice at the time, she was afraid of being put into foster care."

I sat there and listened on.

"Pat told me after Mariah turned him down and left he rejected her."

"What?" I asked stumped. "He just gave up?"

Ellie nodded, "I don't know why, I mean he had to have known she'd come back eventually...I think he's trying to hurt her now because she hurt him."

I shook my head, I couldn't believe how childish this shit was...but with lasting consequences.

We chilled in the room until Elise's aunt arrived. She greeted us all warmly and even better, my Ellie cheered up when Patrick realized he'd have to give up his room.