Sunshine

I looked up and had to shield my eyes as the bright rays of sunshine beat down on me, thankfully the taxi cabs were waiting outside of the airport to transport the arrivals.

"We're can I take you?" An older driver asked as I leaned in to signal I needed a ride.

I gave him the address and he nodded before he got off to help me with my suitcase.

To be honest I packed for the week, I was hoping this trip would be short...talk to Mariah, find out what's going on and hopefully bring her back.

But I know Ry, She is stubborn and probably pissed like Harper was when she first found out the truth.She could in fact refuse to come with me or even hear me out...whatever the case, my dad was on standby for my return ticket.

And I wouldn't be away from my family for the holidays so I needed to leave after the week was up no matter what.

Once in the cab the driver asked me a few questions and I answered him politely but kept the conversation short, I had one thing on my mind...get home and be back with Vance.

I sighed, even with my wolf gone I knew my heart enough to know I truly missed Vance.

If I had my wolf I know she'd be missing our mate right now too, more even as this distance would be killing her...but the fact that I'm okay with being here right now and I don't have this deep urge to return home is a big reminder that she's no longer there.

"We're here miss."

I looked up (lost in my thoughts) and found that we were at an apartment complex.

"Is this the right place?" I asked unsure.

The man it was the same address I originally had given him, they matched perfectly, I don't know why I had been under the impression that Mariah's brother lived in a house.

I got off and removed my own suitcase before looking for the cellphone my parents had gotten for me as a replacement for the old one. Lucky for me Vance had all the numbers I needed, even luckier...he also had Mariah's number on the off chance he'd have to call her to reach me.

For the first time in months I looked up my old friends number and pressed call.

It rang and rang until she sent me to voicemail.

I tried to growl in frustration but it only came out like guttural noise of annoyance. I rolled my eyes and left a message: "Mariah it's Elise, I know it's a new number...anyways ...I'm in California, we've got a lot of shit to talk about." I looked around and found a spot I could hide out from the heat. "I'll be at this little restaurant call Tippy's Tacos, see you in a little while."

I knew she would come, whether it was being guilt driven or sheer curiosity...the only thing I didn't know was how long it'd take her to come and fine me.

I made my way to the restaurant and I was greeted by a robust woman, "help yourself to a seat and I'll bring over a menu."

I nodded and found the furthest table from the front door. I tucked my suitcase under the table and waited for the waitress to come over, as she mentioned she indeed brought over a menu to order from as well as tortilla chips and salsa. I ordered from the menu and then waited.

I didn't have to wait long for my food.

I sat there and ate every last bite texting Vance here and there as well as my parents and Brax, time passed and the same waitress came to clean my table.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" She asked, I knew she was waiting to see if I was going to pay or try and rip her off.

I asked for the bill and then paid before I informed her I was going to be waiting for a friend.

"Well if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask." She smiled sweetly.

a good thirty minutes passed by before just sitting there got hella boring. So... With nothing much else to do I grabbed my headphones, ordered the dessert sampler and just watched Netflix.

I tried these things called sopapillas, they were pretty good...The churros were better, and I also tried flan...found out I'm not a fan.

Close to two hours had passed and finally the familiar little chick I had grown up with walked into the eatery looking less than enthused...it put me on edge.

"Took you long enough." I said as she sat down at the table.

"I just got off of work...what're you doing here anyways Ellie?"

I couldn't help but smile at hearing her use my familiar nickname. "Can't a girl just want to see her friend?"

She rolled her own eyes and smiled as well before it was time to get serious. "What's going on Mariah, nobody's seen or heard from you since the night you and Patrick found me at that gas station."

She shook her head, "I try not to think of that night, too much." she admitted as she picked up one of the churros I'd neglected.

"Mariah, what the hell happened to you?"

"I could ask you the same thing Elise!" She said a little loudly before remembering we were in public. "I've got my brothers car, let's go somewhere more private."

I nodded my agreement.

I reached under the table and grabbed my suitcase she watched me with curiosity, "you plan on staying a while?"

I shook my head, "well I wasn't just gonna come and see you then leave...I have questions and I expect answers, so if that means it's gonna take all week on the beach trying to get you to talk then so be it." I smiled, of course I miss Vance, but it's not everyday I come to California either...I wanted to take advantage while I could.

She shook her head and then together we left the restaurant.

We got into her brothers sleek black Lexus.

"Wow...nice car." I said impressed.

"Frankie hates it, But...It's practical." She commented flatly before continuing. "So you said you have questions...Well you're not the only one sister, and I'm sure as hell going to get some answers before I talk about anything else from that night on."

I was I asked to come over and find out how much she knows...and Mariah is one of my best friends...in fact as much as I love H and all, and one day she'll even become family...Mariah and I have history, we've grown up together...and honestly I would consider Mariah my first best friend, making us just a little closer than any other friendship. Harper and Vance both included.

I nodded to her request for answers and I silently decided that it didn't matter how little or how much Mariah had pieced together from that night, I was going to tell her everything.