Leaving the Nest pt. 1

"Do you think I could talk to the both of you?"

He looked at me and then I watched as his eyes went down to scan my hands.

'Is everyone in on this whole proposal thing?' I wondered slightly hurt that I had to pretend like I don't know.

"Don't worry I'm not getting married or anything." I put in almost resentfully.

He chuckled and nodded, "of course not...let's go into the living room with your mother."

Mom heard us when we entered the family room and she paused her movie.

"Anything good?" I asked.

She nodded, "you know how much I get into these Lifetime movies." She smiled.

"Elise needs to speak with us." My Dad put in.

"Oh?" She sounded.

"So, um...I guess I should start off then, well as you guys know I'm 18 and I'm gonna be starting school soon, and um, well I think it'd be better for me if I moved in with Vance." I said, floundering for a good enough excuse, "it's just it's a lot closer for me so it'll save on gas and stuff."

My mom nodded in what seemed to be her attempt at understanding, my dad on the other hand wasn't buying it.

"How will it be closer if Vance is staying at the fraternity, that's in the complete opposite direction to where your aunts shop is...And unless they've changed the rules, females were not allowed to take up residence in the Frat house for extended stays."?"

I guess I had failed to mention the house.

"Well we sort of bought a house?" I admitted.

"You did what?" Mom asked shocked.

"I guess technically Vance is buying the house, but yeah...we have our own place already."

"Oh, well...good on him." Dad sounded before joining mom on the sofa.

It seemed as if the conversation was over.

"That's it?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Mom asked.

"Well I mean I guess I expected a lecture or something about how I'm too young or not ready."

Dad shrugged, "Elise sweetie it's like you said, you're 18 and we couldn't stop you even if we wanted to...but the fact of the matter is we don't want to stop you."

I couldn't believe my ears, were my parents basically kicking me out.

"So you're not even gonna attempt to ask me to stay?"

My mom suppressed a laugh "you've always been so dramatic Elise, if you want to stay then stay, but you're ready to go so we only want you to live your life."

I shook my head, I was ready for the next step, I was glad my parents were cools with this too.

"So you kids need anything?" My dad asked.