➳ 9: we'll always have bourbon street

THE next morning, Efah was sitting on the couch, drinking a blood bag that she had stolen from the cooler in the cellar. She was enjoying the peace until Damon and Elena walked down the stairs together with large happy smiles.

"Bag." He pointed out as she rushed to get ready for school.

"I got it. Ahem." Elena cleared her throat and grabbed her bag off the table.

"Scarf." Damon listed, grabbing a scarf from the hooks on the wall and wrapped it around her neck.

"What - oh!" Elena gasped in surprise as Damon pulled her into a kiss. "Mm. Hmm." She moaned in pleasure and spoke in between kisses. "Listen, Damon, we...."

"No. No, no no. Don't ruin it." He refused to hear her out and placed a finger to her lips.

She pushed his hand out of the way and smiled affectionate up at him. "You didn't even know what I was gonna say."

"Well, I'm assuming it starts with, "What are we?" And then ends with, "Going to tell Stefan?"" Damon grumbled knowingly.

Elena shot him a look, "he should know."

Damon threw his head back and groaned lowly. "I know he should know. I just don't know when he should know it."

"Well, he knows that something is going on between us. I mean, it's the reason that he and I broke up." The newbie vamp said sadly, feeling guilt rising inside of her.

"Yeah, but can't we just let ourselves enjoy one secret, selfish day before we destroy his?" He asked with a pout, grabbing her face in his hands.

"Maybe we shouldn't --" Elena started and backed away from him.

Damon interrupted her, "no, Elena. This is our time. It's never been right before but it is right now. Just one day? One day?" He held up one finger and looked at her with pleading, puppy dog eyes.

Elena smiled with a nod of her head, unable to say no to the eldest Salvatore. "Okay, one day."

Damon smiled back and cheered happily, "yes."

"Sooo, do you have a preferred place where you'd like me to vomit up my insides at the sight of you two?" Efah asked suddenly and both their heads snapped around to face her. She threw her hand up and leaned back against the couch. "You know you're not the only people in the world that exist, right?"

"What's she doing here?" Elena asked Damon, both unhappy and terrified.

"I live here, honey." The sister of Satan answered with a mocking smile.

"How long are you staying here?" Elena asked curiously, fiddling with the end of her scarf and gulping back her fear.

"For as long as I can." Efah responded dully with a small shrug. "I'm trying to avoid Hell."

"Hell?" Elena inquired in confusion.

"We don't have time for the story. Ask Bonnie." Damon said quickly as he rushed her toward the entrance.

Elena opened the front door just as Stefan was walking up to it. They all stopped in their places, tension evident in the air.