➳ 37: resident evil

STEFAN and Efah were out getting breakfast at the Grill a few days following Tom's murder. They were sitting at a booth looking over the menus when Stefan suddenly got a dazed look on his face. Efah didn't realize at first because she had been rambling on about whether she should order crepes or French toast.

"What do you think?" She questioned him without looking up from the laminated sheet in her hands but received no response. "Babe?" She called out to him, her mismatched eyes finally meeting his face. "Stefan?" The archangel tried again in concern after noticing him staring off into space.

At first he didn't snap out of his trance and Efah began to grow anxious. After a few moments, he seemed to return to reality and his eyes met hers, taking in her expression. Shaking his head, Stefan tried to make sense of what had happened in order to put it into words for her. "Uh... sorry. What were you saying?"

Setting the menu down on the sticky, plastic table, she furrowed her brows. "Are you okay? What happened?"

Running his tongue across his lower lip, he debated on how to approach the situation in public. "You're not going to like it." He vaguely warned causing Efah to become suspicious and concerned further. "I had some weird dream of Elena."

Efah's face fell into anger and her eyes narrowed. "Oh." Clenching her jaw, she thought of how to respond but he continued speaking before she had the chance.

"We were both human and it was... it was odd." He commented in discomfort and rubbed at the back of his neck.

Efah opened her mouth to respond but his phone started ringing away in his pocket. Sighing, she motioned for him to answer it while leaning back against the vinyl seat.

Stefan whipped it out from his jean pocket and looked at the caller ID before answering. "Hey." He breathed out in greeting and watched Efah cross her arms over her chest with an obvious upset look on her face.

""Stefan, hey." Caroline replied then noticed his tone and questioned in concern. "Is everything ok?"

"Well, you know how sometimes you feel crazy and you call me and I tell you that you're not crazy?" He reminded nervously and fiddled with the corner of his menu.

"Even though most of the time I am." Caroline giggled at the recollection of her previous behaviors.

"Well, I need you to tell me that I'm not crazy." He requested with a heavy sigh.

"Uh, no promises." She responded with caution.

"I'm suddenly having some vision of Elena." He explained stressfully, not enjoying the situation in any capacity.

Efah rolled her green eye and turned to stare out the window beside their table, watching the people walking by in her attempt to distract her anger. When it wasn't working, she groaned lowly and snatched her menu up to look over the choices again.

"I take that back. Actually, you're not crazy at all. Something's going on." Caroline informed him then began to fill him in on how Elena was experiencing the same visions and formed a plan to fix it.

After hanging up the call, Stefan held his hands up with a relieved smile and chuckled nervously. "See? Not just me." He tried to defend himself against Efah's silent rage. Clearing his throat, he picked up his menu but continued to stare at the former Queen of Hell before him. "I promise it means nothing."