➳ 50: i alone

THANKSGIVING passed by, Damon found out Bonnie was still alive in the prison world, Alaric and the Salvatores took a trip to Portland to find the Gemini Coven despite Efah's attempts to convince them it'd be a waste of their time, and Caroline hosted Friends-giving but didn't invite Stefan or Efah, not that they were surprised. Efah took the time to spend the holiday with Gabriel and Lucifer.

Exactly as predicted, the Gemini Coven didn't provide them with any more answers. Joshua still refused to help them in fear that Kai would escape from his prison and even tried to kill Jo from across the country to insure he wouldn't. Jo admitted to having the Ascendant so Damon compelled Alaric to steal it from her.

So a few days afterward, Damon, Stefan, and Efah waited in Alaric's office while discussing the repercussions of Damon's choices.

"You didn't compel him to get her drunk." Stefan pointed sternly as he sat down in one of the leather chairs. When his body made contact with the seat, he leaned his head back and let out a heavy sigh.

Damon, carrying a paper bag and a cup of coffee, walked toward the desk with his hands held out at his sides. "No. I compelled him to do whatever it takes, and considering the Ascendant is the key to her psycho brother's weird prison world, I'm sure it's gonna take her a few to open up about it."

"Need I remind you; I could've easily grabbed it without any dishonesty involved?" Efah remarked smugly, lowering herself down to sit in Stefan's lap. "But why go with the obvious option?"

Stefan wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin upon her shoulder, looking over at Damon. "You realize he is gonna kill you when he finds out what you did to him."

Damon grabbed Alaric's flask and began pouring alcohol into his coffee. "My relationship to ruin, thank you. I didn't complain when you ruined yours with Caroline."

"Hmmm." Efah mused unhappily with her eyes narrowed into a tight glare.

"I didn't ruin my--" Stefan tried to argue his claim but was immediately cut off.

"Yeah. I'm sure she's fine." Damon commented sarcastically and tossed the flask onto one of the shelves then strolled toward the couple as he spoke. "She's on vacation with her mom, eating ice cream out of the carton, convincing herself she never liked you in the first place."

"Well, she can simply get over it and move on like a big girl." Efah snapped bitterly and flashed him a condescending smile.

Stefan snatched the mug from the other vampire, giving him an unamused scowl. "You done?"

Damon watched him take a sip of his concoction and wagged a finger in warning. "Careful, Stefan. I know it may seem easy to be the big bad Salvatore, but soon, you'll find yourself lying in the middle of the road, pouring your heart out to a stranger, having an existential crisis."

"That sounds oddly personal, Damon." Efah commented with a mocking smirk on her face causing the older brother to give her an annoyed glare.

"Yeah, great." Stefan quickly dismissed, shifting Efah along his lap so she had her legs dangling over the armrest, then rolled his eyes. "So, uh, when's this grand theft gonna happen?"

"Assuming everything went well, it's already happened, which means..." Damon waited expectantly and pointed at the door just as it opened.