➳ 40: home

STEFAN, and Elena, had been missing for four days and Efah searched every single Traveler camp for any sign of the doppelgängers only to come up empty handed every time. Growing frustrated and panicked, she decided it would be best to make her way back to Mystic Falls until Damon texted her that they had found Stefan. The two still weren't on speaking terms because he was angry at her from lying. He gave her the instructions to meet them at Whitmore so Efah immediately teleported to the campus.

She rushed through the door, joining Caroline, Elena, and Damon in the common room of Whitmore University. "Stefan!" The archangel called out loudly, her tone relieved and excited as she walked around  to the front of the couch. When she found what was waiting for her, Efah's heart dropped down into her stomach. She froze in place at the sight of Stefan lying lifeless on the couch cushions with a hole in his chest. Her green eye burned with the tears threatening to spill and her bottom lip quivered from her grief.

Damon just stared at Stefan, disconcerted, as he tried to come to terms with what had happened.

"Bonnie has a plan, right? She-she said that she could bring people back." Caroline frantically tried to soothe her tears but none of them responded. "Tell me that she can bring him back!"

"We'll bring them back." Damon assured her, not entirely convinced himself. "Come on. Let's get away from prying eyes." He grabbed a spare blanket from the couch and wrapped it around Stefan, carrying him away.

Efah waited until they were in a private dorm room to finally let out her cries of anguish. Sobbing loudly over his body, her voice coming out as pitiful whimpers as she held tightly onto him. Mourning the death of the love of her life.

It felt like hours had passed by and her loud screams had turned into hiccups and quiet tears rolling down her face. Any belonging that had been left behind by the student who lived there was destroyed, lying along the floor in pieces. Efah sat beside the bed on the hardwood floor with a numb look in her mismatched eyes.

Her phone began ringing loudly in her pocket so she pulled it out to answer without glancing at the caller ID. A masculine British voice echoed through the reciever in a cheery manner before she could greet them. "Efah, so get this---"

"He's gone." Efah cut him off in a hollow tone, staring at the wall in front of her.

"What?" They asked in confusion and slight worry.

"Stefan's gone." She clarified, her voice breaking at the end of the statement as the tears almost started up all over again. Resting the palm of her hand against her forehead, Efah pulled her knees up to her chest and let out a soft sob. "He's dead, Luci."

"Where are you?" Lucifer questioned quickly, any sign of his happiness gone at his sister's heartbreak and replaced by genuine concern.

"Whitmore College in McKinley." She whispered and softly hit her forehead with her palm several times. "I can't remember which dorm room."

"It's okay. Be there in a minute." He assured in a soothing voice before hanging up the phone.

A second later there was a knock on the door and they didn't give her the chance to answer. Opening the door, a set of footsteps echoed across the hardwood toward and stopping once they reached the end of the bed. The was a heavy sigh of disappointment followed by the intruder walked around, finding Efah hugging her knees and staring down at nothing in particular with a blood shot, swollen eye and a puffy right cheek.