The Promise

Chapter 3

'Joo-doh is an idiot. Joo-doh is an idiot.' I kept repeating these words in my head hoping it would become a curse.

I was walking through the familiar hallways but none of which gave me the clues to where I should go.

"Let's see... the throne room should be around here.." I cautiously opened the door and entered. Different sizes of shelves greeted me and I frowned.

Wrong room again but because of my love for books, I was tempted to stay and read.

I shook my head vigorously, trying to keep my hobbies at bay when suddenly I heard a click.

I turned towards the door which was still opened a while ago. My eyes widened at the realization that I scrambled towards the entrance.

I twisted the knob and found that it was locked. Oh dear..

My instincts told me to call for help but all of the trouble I've gone through to enter the castle would be for nothing.

I decided to keep quiet, wishing for my brother to find me soon. I sighed and collapsed on the pile of books that it made an unexpected loud sound.

"Who's there?" A cold voice called out from behind the book shelf. It was very familiar so I stayed silent and waited for him to reveal himself.

"Ji-Ahn?" His green orbs widened in shock when he saw me at the floor. I stood up and dusted myself before giving him a smile.

"Missed me?"

He still wasn't able to speak.

"You didn't cheat on me, did you?," I joked and when he didn't respond, I continued, "You didn't cheat but you killed someone. How silly can you be Soo-won?"

"I had to do it." He finally spoke. His eyes refused to meet mine.

"Pathetic." I scoffed, picking up a stray book from my path.

"You don't know anything Ji-Ahn. You don't understand why I killed such a weak and useless king." He reasoned out, eyes glinting with hate.

I slowly made my way towards him as I placed the book on a table without taking my eyes off of him for a second.

"Then," I slid my arms around his neck, pinning him to a shelf. "Why don't you make me understand Soo-won? Why did you do something reckless?" I asked in a pleading, yet venomous tone.

"Because..." he began hesitantly. He was about to speak again but he closed his mouth, staring right back at me with cold eyes.

They weren't the usual bright orbs that I love so much. Back then, it was full of life and vivid happiness. For it to disappear, there must be some big, shady reason behind it.

"You don't have to know." He said dismissively and grabbed my hand.

It took me a second to realize that we switched positions and I'm the one who is pinned now.

"How about you? Don't tell me you came here without knowing that I might kill you."

The way he looks at me was very troubling. It's as if he's longing for something. As if he's in pain just by looking at me.

"Do you really mean that? Soo-won if there's anything you want to tell me, I'll listen." I gave him a weak smile, making sure it's convincing.

I still believe that Soo-won could never do anything as kill someone without any deep and valid reason. I'm sure that Yona does too.

That's why even if it's for awhile, I want to relieve his pain.

"Soo-won.." I whispered his name when he didn't answer. "Why are you so scared?"