The First Sign

♚Chapter 32♔      

"If you leaned any further, you'll fall down."

"Fang!" My heart almost leaped out from my chest. But more than anything, I was hurt from the fact that I expected someone else to utter those words to me.

"Why are you so surprised? Did you think I was someone else?" He did not even hide his contempt as his question hinted something worthy of a heated debate.

"I'm surprised on why instead of looking out for Kye-sook like I told you, you are here spying and scaring me out of my mind." I pulled my body away from the window to make some room for him to get in.

"That thing is at his office right now. I just wanted to know how you're faring with being locked up like a useless, pretty bird and thought I could share some advice." He chuckled in distaste at the memory.

"You deserved that time you got locked up,"

He glared at me and I had this burning feeling in my guts to tempt him but refused. He really needs to go back to where my brother is. Who knows what that jerk is scheming right now.

"Fang, go back. We shouldn't let our guard down. The moment you take your eyes off of that guy is the moment we'll surely regret."

He sighed in exasperation but finally left.

What did he want coming in here in the first place?

-/-

The next day, I woke up early. I remembered Soo-won has given me the freedom to walk in the garden today. It may not be by myself but if it's with Joo-doh then there's really not much that difference as being alone.

The maids dressed me properly for the occasion. I had no issue with it until one of them reached for my hair.

I instinctively slapped her hand away and the handmaid stumbled back in surprise. She looked fairly new so she probably doesn't know.

"I'll take care of it."

I never like it when other people touches my hair, more so if they are a stranger.

"But My Lady the order was-"

"Do I look like I care for your orders?" I nodded in the direction of the door. A sign for them to leave before I start lashing out on them.

They all hurried to leave and I was left alone to contemplate how childish my behavior was.

"Milady, I'm here to pick you up." Joo-doh called out from the other side of the door not even a minute after I send those maids out.

The door opened and he came in. Behind him were two more soldiers. I frowned.

"Don't worry, they are just for decorations."

"For what?"

"Your brother."

"Oh."

I stayed silent after realizing the meaning behind it. Joo-doh reassured me that they won't actually tail us all day long but would just keep out on every possible escape route just in case I think of something funny.

"Joo-doh."

"Hmm?"

"I said I wanted to walk in the garden, not race." I pulled on the hem of his clothes to make him stop.

He slowed down and turned to me.

"Is it my fault you're too slow?"

Okay that really pissed me off.