America x Canada

Laughter Isn't the Best Medicine

Requested by RussiaSunflower (Last one for now XD)

It had begun to become a dark time, there weren't much to what life had to offer if there is something that is missing from the presence of life. The skies were an ironic bright blue, and yet, there was something dark that would happen in the future.

"A-Alfred, please wait u-up!" A distressed voice called out softly. Alfred, who was being called, looked behind him. There was no one there. Shrugging, he kept walking. The voice was persistent, though, so it kept bugging him. And every time it does, he just looks back and shrugs.

This went on for about a few weeks. The noises became more frequent than the previous day, and it made Alfred more paranoid. With every step, he could have sworn that there were another set of footsteps following him, but whenever he looked back, there was no one there to follow him.

Swallowing the lump at the back of his throat, he continued to walk, but with more caution than ever before. There was too much going on, and this was going to be a long day if this is going to be kept up.

With this kind of condition, it was not a surprise that others say that he was crazy, but he would not take any of it. He believes that there was someone following him, but he could not just say that to anyone, because then they would consider him crazy and delusional. They dismissed everything that he says.

"Why won't you believe me?" He burst out to his therapist. His therapist just shook his head and got up.

"Oh, I believe you," Alfred's eyes were filled with determination, "but only to a certain extent."

"What?" Disbelief; that's what he feels. "How?"

"You have schizophrenia, Alfred. I have no other way to say it, but this voice you are hearing, it's not real. It's just in your head. This 'Matthew' you are talking about... He never existed, at least not anymore." This caused Alfred to retaliate.

"No! He has to be real! He has to!!" Tears, hot and salty, fell from his eyes that hid behind the glasses. He squirmed in his seat, causing more pain to swell in his mind.

"He is lying, Alfie. I am alive." That voice was back. It was back to reassure him that he was alive, but no one could see him, they don't even notice him.

"You're lying! He is very much alive! I can hear him! You are such a fukcing liar!" His therapist just gave him a look of sympathy. He felt sorry for him, but there was nothing he could do to solve this problem. He walked over to the phone on the other side of the room, he dialed a number.

Alfred was crying, chanting that he was alive and real, while his therapist phoned Arthur.

"He is real, he is real. He is definitely real. Why can't you see that?" Over and over again, he continued to chant about his brother, Matthew.

After several minutes, Arthur came in, concern written all over his face. He thanked the man, paid him right there, and took his beloved brother home. This was too much for poor Alfred. He could not comprehend reality. There were too much he still needs to learn about.

"Alfred," Arthur's soothing voice sounded, "I know you are hurting, I am too! But, listen, you have to understand this, he will never come back. He is gone, dead, not of this world anymore." Screaming, Alfred hit the dashboard in front of him, breaking out into a sob. He wailed and screamed how it was not real, and how he can hear him clearly.

"Alfred!" Now stern, Arthur began to scold him. "You must stop this! We do not have time to begin making this conversation worse than your condition. Now, when we get home, you are going to take your medicine and you are going to stay in your room and sleep for a bit. You could use the rest."

"I do not need your charity."

"It's not charity. I am trying to help you."

"Then believe me that he is alive! I can hear him! Listen to me!" Arthur glanced over at him, sorrow filled him. He sighed.

"You know I can't do that, Alfred... And even if I did, I would be diagnosed with the same sickness as you. I want to believe you, I really do, but I can't."

"You liar. You and everyone else lie. Why? Why do I have to be the one to understand that there is something going on? Why can't everyone see that I am here doing what I can to see that he is still alive and will be forever?"

It was quiet. There was nothing coming out of both men's mouth. Once they reached home, Alfred went straight to his bedroom without his medicine. Arthur brought them up to him, but he did not want to take it. This caused Arthur to become a bit bitter about his attitude.

"Alfred Jones! If you do not mature enough to take your medicine, then I will make you go to that therapist every single day of your life!" This stirred Alfred, because he was there, taking his medicine and not talking. "Thank you, Alfred. I just want to see you feeling better." He then closed the door to his room to let him have some privacy.

Groaning, Alfred lied back on his bed. He closed his eyes, but the voices kept him awake.

"He still does not believe you, Alfred." Alfred nodded at this statement. He was way too tired to continue talking. He had already had enough, but there was a question that was eating at him alive.

"Why do they think you don't exist, Matt?" There was a sigh and a hand being placed on him. Alfred looked up at his deceased younger brother and smiled sadly.

"Because, Alfred, I am not really alive." The young man on his bed had tears pouring down his face.

"No..."

"I'm sorry.. it's true." With every breath he took, he was soon disappearing. It was the medicine that was making him sober. He yelled out to make sure he could not leave, but he was too late. There was nothing he could do.

He ended up on the floor, a crying mess. No one to hold on to, no one to comfort him. He was truly alone in this harsh and cruel world. Reality is a bitch.

-------------

That went better than expected! I loved this one, only because it was inspired by Until Dawn, or well, one of the characters (Josh). Yeah... America is Schizophrenic. I imagine him as such, because I love him more with flaws than without. People who admit they have flaws are more attractive in my book. c: 

Anyway, Enjoy!!!!!