20. -Pieces of Us- (mid-book finale)

"No .. what are you talking about?" James asked Melissa.

 "Connor is a sophomore student ... don't hide it James. I now know everything"

 "How?" the young teacher asked, only to see her look cautiously at Mason. "I don't think we should talk here in front of him" she uttered.

 James agreed and the two of them moved towards the bedroom.

 As soon as the young teacher closed the door, Melissa asked him why he lied. "I had to .. I know this would happen" he replied while looking at her. James then asked Melissa how in the world did she find out about Connor.

 "It's not hard to find James ... I saw you two go to the same school this morning. James ... what happened huh? Is he really all that?"

 "Yes Melissa ... I love Connor. But please don't take Mason away from me"

 "How can I not take him away from you? James ... I bet he can see you and Connor kiss .. he-"

 "Are you afraid he will also turn out like me? Why Melissa? Is there something wrong with me?"

 "No James"

 "Then tell me Melissa? Why would you want to take him away even if you know he's important to me"

 "James ... I'm his mother , Mason is important to me too"

 "You asked for full custody Melissa .... that is not something any father that is in his right mind would agree to ... wait .. why aren't you mad at me for dating one of my students? ... that can't be the reason right? ... tell me Melissa ... what's going on?"

 "I ... I"

 "Melissa? please ... I know we had our differences in the past but please .. don't lie on me now" James begged as he placed both of his hands on her.

"James ...we're moving to Australia and I will do everything to take Mason with us"

---

Connor doesn't know what went on , but as soon as Melissa and James got out of that room, he quickly saw the young teacher's defeated reaction. Mason's mom and her boyfriend left the apartment. The little McVey then ran to his father and cried.

 "I'm not gonna lose you right?" Mason whispered, causing for Connor's heart to break

 "Skipper you will never lose your daddy trust me" James answered before kissing Mason on the forehead. Connor then asked the young teacher what happened but James refused to talk about it.

 And after about an hour of sitting quietly, Connor decided to go home. James walked him towards the door and apologized for what happened.

"it's okay James just know that whatever you need .. I will always be here"

 "I know ... I love you Connor"

 "I love you too James"

 ---

The next morning, James went to school with sad eyes and heavy heart. As soon as he got inside his classroom, he quickly told his students to review as they will have a test.

 James couldn't even think properly as all that is in his mind right now is Mason , Connor and Melissa. He can't let her take his son away but at the same time he doesn't want to lose Connor too. The young teacher then looked at his student slash partner.

 There right at that moment, James knew that there will be a point where he's gonna have to choose between Connor and Mason.  And when that time comes, he knew he wouldn't be able to choose.

Right before the class ended, a knock on the door was heard by the entire room. James looked on and saw the principal staring at him.

 "Good Morning sir" he greeted nervously

 "McVey I expect to see you in my office after this class alright?"

 "Okay sir but can I ask why?"

 "We need to talk"

---

As soon as the bell started ringing, every student but Connor left the room. The young guy stood up and approached James.

 "I think they know" the young teacher uttered.

 "Do you think Melissa told them?"

 "I'm not sure .... but you need to leave ... if they see you and me together it will only fire up more rumors"

 "Why can't we just tell them?"

 "Con ... dating a student is not a normal thing for a teacher to do. I'm going to lose my job"

 "Fine ... good luck ... I love you" the young guy whispered.

 "I love you too"

 Connor then smiled at the young teacher and walked out of the room, only to see Tristan and Brad looking at him. "What?" he asked.

 "You're dating James" Tris uttered and so Con's heart dropped. 

 "Shit" he thought to himself while trying to think of an alibi