Resolutions

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 1 Continued

Derek. Bloody Derek. He'd given her an ultimatum, to choose between working at Clarks and their relationship. He'd said a letter of resignation would suffice, for this would be the only sign she could give to show she was truly committed to a life together.

His request was too immense. Sophie would lose part of herself if she quit. There had to be another way, a compromise of some kind, for she wouldn't leave. She loved advertising and dreamed of one day owning her own firm. She was still learning. Her departure from Clarks was out of the question.

A moment of madness must have swept over him; it was the only thing that made sense. Derek had asserted his ownership of their apartment and insisted she move out. He'd stated that if she elected to continue at Clarks, then she needed to find new accommodation – immediately.

After the argument Sophie had packed and loaded her car with boxes. It was only an argument and he'd soon give up his demands. Of course he'd ask her back inside. Yet she had found herself sleeping in the back seat of her car like a vagabond.

When she woke, stiff and sore, she had even gone to work.

Sophie had departed Derek's place and slept in her car only last night. The fight was less than twenty four hours old. Derek was yet to call and she was barely holding herself together. Clarks still expected Sophie to attend the gala evening, although she didn't want to get dressed in the back seat of a car. She would find an alternative.

As she ran her hand over the cardboard box on the passenger seat, Sophie sighed at the knowledge that she'd taken only the bare essentials. The boot was crammed full with work clothes, shoes, nail polish, and her collection of Jamie Oliver cook books – only necessary items.

There hadn't been time to pack everything properly while Derek was so upset. There would be another time when she could return to Derek's apartment, her old home on her old street, far from the street she was on now. Surely after he calmed down, Derek would miss her wildly. He would want her back. Of course he would.

Sophie thrust the car door open and plastered a grin on her face. Think positive, think winner. Smiles were an important part of the sales process. They were cheap, yet often closed deals. A flat interview was no different. This time, Sophie was selling herself. She was desperate to secure a new home.

Holding a printout of the online advertisement, she checked the address and identified house number 129. The advert stated the room was available immediately. If this flat interview didn't work out, her only solution would involve another night in her Volkswagen Beetle, or possibly a low budget hotel. She definitely didn't want to ask her parents or friends for any help. She didn't want to sit through the humiliation of describing what had happened with Derek, when she herself was still trying to piece it all together. There might be a chance that after further negotiation, they could salvage the relationship.

Besides, she didn't need help. She was quite capable of sorting out her accommodation situation. Sophie Smart was a solutions kind of girl.

There was a small gate to 129. She walked up the set of steps. A feeling of déjà vu flooded her body at the stairs. This was, after all, the third ascent to an unfamiliar house this evening for a flat interview. Sophie felt panicked. The two previous flats hadn't worked out. Would this one come through?