The Truth

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 15

Sophie needed to stay afloat both in her job and in the water. Of course, her next lesson started with her face first in the water. After the floating exercise, Matthew's face transformed and his eyes lit up. This was one expression that filled her with dread.

"I'm going to teach you the flutter kick." He brought the trusty kickboard from the edge of the pool. "I would like you to watch my legs. This is what we're aiming for."

He thrust himself off the edge, his muscular arms extended forward as he held the kickboard. He put his face in the water and began kicking, churning up the water with his feet.

He stopped and stood up in the middle of the pool, about ten feet away. "Are you paying attention?" he barked.

She jolted. "Yes." He'd caught her focused on his dreamy body.

He swam back and she concentrated on his precise movements and not entirely on his physique.

"Did you see what I just did?" He wasn't even breathless when he returned to where she sat on the step.

"Yes," she said slowly.

"Think of how quickly a butterfly flutters its wings. I need you to do short, quick little kicks, churning up the water. Fluttering."

"I see."

"Kick from the hip and not from the knee. It's a whole leg exercise."

She swallowed. "There is one issue. You kicked to the middle of the blooming pool." Like a show reel, memories of drowning slid into her mind. "I'm not a middle-of-the-pool kind of girl yet."

"We're aiming to reach the middle of the pool. But today is your lucky day."

"Lucky?" Sophie roared with laughter so loudly, that children splashing on the other side of the pool stopped to watch her. "Then why don't I feel at all lucky?"

"It's a lucky day for you because you're going to use the kickboard, but again you'll do the exercise over the step."

A feeling of immense gratitude filled her. Oh trusty step! How close they'd become. First the floating and now flutter kicking.

Matthew issued his hideous instructions of how to flutter kick and then it was her turn.

She face-planted into the water and left no time to think about her actions. Her body hovered over the step with the kickboard in front of her. The sensation of suffocating was overwhelming. Her legs sailed up and her stomach somersaulted like she was on a rollercoaster. The kickboard was an animal, and she was the trainer.

She fought to gain control of the board as it wobbled and wriggled in her grip. She threw off a surge of panic. I can do this. I will be the kickboard's master. I will be in control.

There was a slight weight placed on the board. It was Matthew, steadying the board to help. As she struggled with the kickboard, a thought sprang into her mind.

She wanted to thank him. Give him a Christmas present. As she thrashed and churned the water, her mind worked simultaneously. He liked cars. He liked tequila. He liked dolphins. He loved swimming. What else, what could she get him?

***

On her way out of the swimming centre, Matthew was already at reception. His face broke out into a smile which extended from ear to ear. "So I'll see you tomorrow night for Carol's performance?" he said. A ripple of excitement went through her body when his eyes locked with hers.

She dropped her Mary Poppins bag on the counter, settling in for a chat with him. "Yes, it should be fun."

His gaze flicked to her work bag. "You're not going back to work again, are you?"

She sighed. "It's busy right before Christmas. Talking about work, have you read the fabulous script for your commercial?"

"Yes, I've read it. I'm excited."

"You're not working late tonight?"

"No, I'm off to Brighton actually. I'm going to the hotel to meet my publicist. She's insisting on a New Year's Eve party to help get people inside the doors."

"Wow that sounds exciting."

"It sounds very last minute but we've got to somehow convince the public that my hotel isn't as bad as the reviews on the internet." He sighed and met her gaze. Tiny shivers of delight run up and down her arms. "I'll be back for tomorrow night."

She broke his gaze when her phone rang shrill. "Look, I'd better go, see you tomorrow." She waved to Matthew, as she opened the door to leave.

Sophie answered her phone as she left the Highbury Aquatic Centre and she began to walk home. "Hello," she said. All Sophie could hear was a muffled sobbing.

"Sophie, you knew," the tone was accusatory.

Apprehension crawled up Sophie's spine. "What did I know?" she asked, but she was pretty sure she knew what was coming.

"About your father."

"What about my father?" Sophie's body stiffened like a string ready to snap. "He's not having an affair is he?"

"His redundancy."

"I see." Relief washed over her; the secret was out. Now they could at least discuss the problem.

"You knew!"

She swallowed hard. "And what did Dad say when you spoke to him about it?"

"I asked him what he had been doing for the last few months." Gloria laughed shrilly. "He's doing very well. He's been swimming, as you know, with your bloody client."

"Yeessss."

"And he's been going to your place, during the day."

"Yes, that's true," Sophie admitted in the smallest voice.

"But Sophie, if he had been going to your place, why didn't you tell me?" Gloria said crossly. "I'm your mother; you should tell me these things."

"I'm sorry," Sophie said as the familiar surge of guilt returned. There were two sides to every story. Why was she the one getting in trouble about this? But then she knew why. She'd covered up one of those secrets that need to be shared. It was too big a secret to have kept.

"It's true. He's been coming to my place and I've been helping him look for a job. Honestly, he's been trying to find the right timing to tell you. He didn't want to worry you. But, Mum, you wouldn't listen to him."

"As you know I've been extremely concerned." Gloria's voice was steely. "And don't talk to me about honesty, Sophie. I thought I'd raised you better. Thanks a bloody lot. I was dead certain he was having an affair and I even signed up to a pole dancing class."

"Pole dancing is great exercise," Sophie muttered.

"I was the oldest person there and I've almost pulled every muscle in my thighs and arms. I hobble as I walk. So tell me how I'm supposed to explain that to your father?"

"The truth," Sophie squeaked.

"Only if he tells me about the milk," Gloria hissed down the phone. "Why does he smell like milk?"

---

Thanks so much for reading my novel Skinny Dipping.

I am posting one chapter per week, but there are 44 parts, so this may take a while. It you just can't wait, you can buy the complete book and the continuation of the SKINNY SAGAS on Amazon.

You can follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page.

Thanks for reading! You guys all rock! xxx

***If you like Skinny Dipping, please don't forget to vote or follow ***

Loads of love your way! xoxo Alicia