A Possible Reunion

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 4 Continued

She took a deep breath and ran a hand through her hair. They hadn't spoken since she'd moved out.

Sophie headed trance-like to the escalator, her feet jumping on. She stood five people behind the black haired head and tried to compose her thoughts as the escalator descended. She opened and closed her mouth, then firmly shut it. She didn't dare call out.

"Sophie," Carol hissed from the escalator step behind her.

Sophie pointed to the man walking off the bottom and disappearing into the perfume section. By the time she'd reached the ground floor, Derek stood at a perfume counter.

"Derek's here," Sophie whispered. "Should I say hi...or should I pretend to run into him? I haven't seen him since we broke up – which, to be honest, was only a few days ago."

Carol took the swimsuit from Sophie. "Go on...you don't want to look like a stalker though."

"If I run into him, I won't have to call him. I can just talk to him. See what happens, see if he misses me." See if he wants me back.

Derek spoke to the assistant and Sophie lingered on the spot, wondering what her next move should be. "It's the Chanel counter," Sophie murmured. A hand came up to her chest, a smile to her lips. Holy hell. She loved Chanel. Her favourite. This was good news. The best news she'd had all week. Chanel was the first perfume that Derek ever gave her

"He looks good," Carol said.

He was cute, with his taut jaw line, perfect nose, and inquiring eyes. Derek paid for the perfume and slipped the package into his suit pocket. Sophie hovered by the makeup counter, picking up a lip gloss, gazing at him. Should she just let him give her the Chanel, pretend she didn't know he wanted to get back together? Or should she face the music and see him? The sooner she got back together with him, the better, she supposed.

"Go on, speak to him," Carol urged.

Sophie brushed down her skirt and lifted her head high. "Wish me luck."

As she approached she saw a broad smile spread across his face, the one where his lips twitched and moved into a perfect smile. She swallowed, lowering her lashes, not wanting to get lost looking into his handsome face, his coal-dark eyes. Her chest tightened, constricted, and she felt like she couldn't breathe. She lifted her lashes and took a step forward.

"Derek," Sophie called.

He looked up, his eyes growing wide like a deer caught in the headlights when he saw her. He froze. "What are you doing here?" he barked.

"Just shopping."

"Since when aren't you working on the weekend?"

Sophie frowned. "I don't work all the time."

He laughed bitterly. "Yeah, you only worked when I wanted to see you."

She swallowed. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing just fine," Derek replied. A woman waltzed up next to him.

Sophie froze, her eyes narrowed at the girl.

"Hello," the blonde said. Beautiful and tall, she stood comfortably next to Derek. Sophie had never seen this girl in her life. She racked her brain – no, she wasn't one of their mutual friends.