The Phobia

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 4

The memory was crystal clear. She gasped in terror as it flashed through her mind. A young, five year old Sophie fell from the edge of her uncle's pool. Her legs circled the air as though she rode a bicycle. The sensation of her toes, hitting and shooting through the water was unfamiliar. She sank heavily like a stone. Down. Down. Down. With horrifying speed the water trapped her as though she were stuck in quick sand.

Her body was swallowed, like being pulled into the mouth of some horrible gigantic creature. She struggled and clawed at the transparent water prison. She longed to escape and rise to the surface.

Try as she might, she couldn't climb. When she opened her mouth to scream, her throat formed a funnel. The water flowed in fast waves, filling her lungs and flooding her chest. Her nose hurt, the feeling like choking on the bubbles of a fizzy drink. Water sloshed in her ears and panic screamed through her body. Her eyes felt like they were popping out of their sockets. She needed air. The pain was hard and intense. The need became urgent. Air. Glorious air. All she could think about was her inability to breathe.

She felt herself fade and the world blacked out. She was drowning... no, she was dying. Too young to know she was dying, but certainly dying.

She died for three minutes.

Her uncle saw her in the pool and hauled her out. He clumsily resuscitated her and she was taken to hospital. Her body healed, but the memory stayed, etched so deeply into the back of her brain that she never got into the water again.

Now Sophie was in Oxford Street where shopping was war, looking for a Godforsaken swimsuit. She still hadn't made up her mind, but it was better to be prepared. Clenching her fists, sticking her elbows out slightly for protection, she walked; the crowd bustled in both directions giving her no chance to stop. Sophie pushed into the thick of it, amongst those seriously committed to shopping, caught in a group snaking forward along the pavement. Sophie sidestepped, blindly moving off the Oxford Street pavement into the road. A deafening horn blasted and tyres screeched from a red, double-decker bus skidding as it avoided meandering pedestrians.

Beside her, Carol panted hard. Her hair was combed back into a perfect bun. Her makeup was flawless, with an eyeliner stroke extended to create the illusion of an extra eyelash. Her foundation covered a sprinkling of freckles, and blusher accentuated her cheekbones.

"Maybe we should call it quits?"

"No." Sophie's voice quavered, determined. Resolve and persistence kept her going. Learning how to swim could be her big opportunity to build stronger ties with the Silver Leisure Group. She just needed to get in.

"We've been to at least ten shops. I don't think you're going to find a swimsuit in October. You should have bought one in summer," Carol stated.

"I need one now," Sophie said firmly. "I'm not going to go to come away empty-handed."

Carol put her hand on her hip, eyeing Sophie carefully. "Okay, the department stores must have a few in stock. Maybe we just haven't looked hard enough. Selfridges is the biggest, we should go back there."

"You're right, let's go back." Sophie said. As they turned around, she touched Carol's arm. "Thanks for coming with me. I know you have your call back audition later on." Another dance company was interested in Carol.