Christmas

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 19

Sophie felt flat as she loaded her red Volkswagen Beetle with presents for Christmas at the cottage. Things had been very tense every time she'd spoken to her mother since the discovery of Roger's redundancy and Sophie's involvement in the cover up.

The only consolation was, at least the news was now out in the open. The family could move on.

Sophie had left driving to the cottage for Christmas until the last minute. Carol's departure to her parents' place the night before had left Sophie feeling alone.

Sophie felt quite single at twenty-five without a boyfriend on the horizon. Christmas festivities would be tiring, with her single status the subject of much contemplation.

She felt even worse because she hadn't expected one night out with Matthew to cause a complete deterioration in their relationship. She'd evidently offended him greatly. Although she wasn't sure how. But after that night, he hadn't called or texted her. She didn't understand quite what she'd done. All she could think about was the kiss. He must have hated it.

Sophie slammed down the boot of her car. She leapt inside, set to drive to the cottage for Christmas. On the bright side, at least she would be able to talk to her dad – they hadn't spoken for about a month.

She turned her key in the ignition. The car lurched and failed. She chanced another attempt to start the vehicle. The engine spat, then stopped. She hunched over the steering wheel, willing the car to move.

A rapping on her car window startled her. She jolted in her seat. She sighed gratefully as she noticed Matthew on the pavement. "Merry Christmas," he mouthed.

She catapulted out of the Volkswagen Beetle, stopping mere inches from him. She smiled warily. He grinned. His smile was enough encouragement for Sophie, an implied invitation. She flung both arms around his neck and gathered him into an embrace. She clamped her eyes shut. She gripped him tight and realisation swooped over her. She was scared to have almost lost him.

She felt his warm body move as he laughed. Pulling her closer, his arms circled her waist. He'd been so good to her. As she held him she couldn't help but wonder why he was at her place, on Christmas Day.

"I was wondering how you were," she said into his neck, recalling the kiss in the middle of the theatre.

His breath was warm on her neck. "Sorry but I've been super busy," he whispered. "Just wrapping things up at Brighton for Christmas."

Jubilation danced through her body, and she felt a thrill of excitement. "I'm going down to Brighton after Christmas," she enthused.

"Are you?" he exclaimed.

"To work on your job." She released Matthew from her grip, suddenly awkward at her enthusiasm. "It's good to see you," she mumbled, trying desperately to shake her feelings of embarrassment.

He wore a sheepish expression on his face. "I tried to call your phone earlier this morning, but you weren't picking up."

"I've been packing. I must have missed it," she said.

"I wanted to catch you before you took off. You said the other night you were leaving this morning. So I just came by...."

"Yeah. Almost ready to go. Got to get this baby running. It doesn't seem to want to cooperate this morning." She tapped the Beetle's bonnet lovingly. She adored her car. If her car had been reliable, she'd have left already and missed his visit.