The Commercial

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter22 

Day one of filming the 'Skinny Dipping' commercial was scheduled at the Highbury Aquatic Centre. Sophie's nerves were threadbare. Communication with Matthew had been scarce since the last time she'd seen him at the pool.

Sophie arrived at the centre at four in the morning. She pushed open the reception doors and Matthew yawned behind the counter.

His face crinkled as he stretched. "Morning," he smiled, looking devastatingly handsome. He wore a dapper suit with a white shirt rather than his normal pool uniform of white t-shirt and navy shorts.

"Morning," she responded brightly. "You look corporate."

He raised his eyebrows. "I was wondering whether I should with all the advertising executives here."

"You're the client, you can wear whatever you want," she replied.

He ran his eyes over her and something lurched inside. "You look quite nice yourself, Miss Smart." His gaze followed her every movement: the way she put her handbag down and when she bent to adjust the straps on her high-heels. "You're the first from your team to arrive."

She couldn't help but smile back at him. "The others will be here soon." She looked at the clock behind the counter.

"So how are you doing? With your dad and everything?"

"Fine," she replied. "He's been released from hospital."

"We haven't had a chance for a real chat with you being so busy with work and everything." He paused. "I called your office a few times."

"Oh yeah, sorry, Jessica gave me the messages. I emailed back, I'm sure. Did you have any questions about today?"

"It's not that. I called you, Sophie." He frowned and ran his hands through his hair. "Are you going to address the issue or should I?"

Sophie shifted uncomfortably and darted a glance toward the doorway, praying a colleague wouldn't enter. "There's no issue, is there?"

"Did I do something wrong, because it's like you're avoiding me?" His eyes bore into hers. "Are we okay?"

Her heart thumped in her chest. "Of course we're okay. We're just the same." She shrugged.

"What do you mean by that?" he insisted. "Just the same? I don't know what that means."

"We're both professionals. I work for you and nothing has changed otherwise."

"Other than you stopping swimming lessons with me but starting them with Eve."

"You told me to practice on my own," she replied.

"Okay. I did mention you should practice, but I didn't mean...." His voice trailed off and he rubbed beneath his chin. "Is the account the problem then?"

"No," she shook her head.

"The advertising campaign is almost over," he said. "All that's left is for your team to shoot and edit the commercial – or at least that's what Jessica tells me when I try and reach you at the office. The website looks fantastic. The radio ad sounds amazing. You're doing laps now in the pool. You're basically done with me."

"What do you mean? Done with you?" she frowned. "Are you happy or not happy with the work? Is the account a problem with you?"

"No, I mean, yes I'm happy with the work, but you don't need me anymore. Not really. I just thought it wouldn't be so complicated – us I mean – if we didn't have a professional relationship. If we moved away from that. Kept things simple."