The Next Day

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 11

Sophie ran down the stairs, to where Matthew lay on the floor, comatose. She needed to get him up off the floor. Using a slim finger she prodded him.

"Morning Matt," she said.

He opened a bleary eye. "Matt?" he said, shutting his eyes. "Am I already saddled with a new nickname? What happened to Mr. Swimming Coach? Taskmaster?"

"You've got to get up."

"Little Miss Persistent." He rolled over. "That's what I'll call you."

"No, I don't like that." But it was better than Miss Fun-Time. Thank God he'd forgotten about that nickname.

"Miss Pest." He cackled and rolled around on the floor. God, he was still drunk.

"Nope." Sophie bit her lip. She had to stop seeing any humour in his responses or she'd never get him out of there.

"Oh, right. You preferred Miss Mermaid. Pardon me, I forgot."

"My dad's going to be here any minute. You need to get up and go."

"What is the time now? I'll call a car, a taxi... how about we find that same driver that almost killed me that night?" He barked with laughter.

"Or you could walk to the pool; it's not far." Sophie offered a solution. She was a solutions type of girl.

"Now there's a possibility."

"Here, have something for the headache." She handed him a tablet and a glass of water, and he took them both, sitting up and groaning. "How about I help you stand up. My dad really is going to be here soon. Remember he's seeing my new place for the first time."

"Oh God." Matthew held onto the coffee table. "Am I going to throw up?"

"If you need to, please let me know first so I can grab a bucket." Sophie's voice was filled with mock seriousness. What was she going to do if he vomited all over the floor? Should she open a window to let in fresh air?

"I've met your dad. He's cool. Maybe I should just stay... we could chat a bit. We really got along Soph." Matthew collapsed back down onto the floor, closing his eyes.

"He won't like you if he sees you now. He'll think...."

Matthew opened his eyes. "Would that be so bad? After all, you were trying to get into my jeans all night."

Sophie couldn't help but laugh. Then she stopped, adopting a serious expression. "Dad would get the wrong idea about me and you. He'd think there was more to us, considering...."

"Considering...."

"I work for you. He'd think I was sleeping around with my clients to get a promotion and the fact is we're. We're, um..." She stopped. What exactly were they? Client and consultant? Swimming instructor and aquaphobe?

"We're what?" he persisted, his eyes settling on hers.

"Um...."

"I'll tell you what, we're going to the ballet together as a group of friends," he declared as a dimple formed on each cheek. "Whatever that means, but we both agreed and you want to go with me." He pointed at her.

"Carol did ask you."

"Come on Soph, admit you want me to come, and maybe you might even like being in my company and might stop hating me because of all the swimming lessons. So for the moment I suppose we're friends, aren't we?"