The Second Proposition

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 3 Continued

Clarity shot through Sophie's mind like a bullet train. This man, with the flaring temper and the outrageous propositions was the elusive Matthew Silver.

She struggled to lift her jaw as Eve frowned at Sophie. "You conned me into believing he stood you up," Eve remarked.

"He did stand me up." Sophie slanted her eyes toward the man. She diverted her gaze from hovering on the t-shirt, which clung to his athletic frame. His muscular shoulders and arms were now exposed without his tuxedo jacket. "You didn't come to the gala," Sophie insisted.

"Ah." He waggled his finger. "But I did. You saw me there. You even fixed my tie."

"But...." she stammered.

He extended his hand. "I tried to tell you we weren't strangers," he remarked. "I'm pleased to meet you, Sophie Smart."

She stared at his face. "Matthew Silver." She didn't need a memory game to recall his name. Oh no. Last night's events were stamped into her mind.

Nearby, Eve rolled her eyes and busied herself with some papers.

Sophie glared. "Was it all a game to you? Going all the way to the hotel, running into me and not bothering to introduce yourself?" She placed one hand on her hip and tapped her foot.

"I'm surprised you haven't looked me up on the internet?"

"Do you want to be my Facebook friend?"

"You should recognise your most important client." His lip twitched, only slightly, but she saw the tremor. "Miss Smart, I recognised you."

"I don't think you did, or you would have said something," she challenged. "If we became Facebook friends I could check out your profile pictures and develop a deep connection. I could also keep up with your movements by reading your status updates. Then I'd be fully aware if you were leaving me in the lurch."

"I did meet you outside the hotel and I've gotten to know you quite well, don't you think? After all, I can list the entire contents of your Mary Poppins bag."

Sophie reddened and inspected her handbag. "It's my favourite." Her gaze settled on his.

"The colour matches your shoes perfectly," he mocked. "There are a few steps around. Do be careful you don't trip. There's a step back there, and another one over there."

Sophie crossed her arms. "Do you realise that it took half a day of manically phoning around to get your gala ticket, especially since you accepted my invitation so late? If you'd changed your mind, you should have said. I have other clients who were dying to go with me."

"Dying, were they?" His voice was sugary.

"Yes." She realised he was almost laughing. "You're enjoying this."

He widened his eyes in innocence. "Only in the same way that I look forward to your annoying daily messages."

"Annoying?" she barked. "I'd call my attitude proactive."

"I meant friendly. Now that you've found the centre, maybe we should have a daily meeting instead? You and me, here, at the pool."

A strong urge soared through her to cuff him behind the ears. "We had a scheduled meeting last night. I moved house right beforehand. You should have called."