The Pub

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 10

Sophie stood next to a tanned lifeguard she'd seen at the Highbury Aquatic Centre. The lifeguard loomed over her. He looked like a triathlete – even in the midst of winter he wore a sleeveless shirt emphasizing his large biceps and angular back. Sophie clutched a glass of vodka and lime with soda, resisting the urge to run her hand over his muscles.

"It's nice to go out midweek," the lifeguard said. "Matthew mentioned your friends might be coming later on?" He seemed to ignore everyone else in the bar as he spoke to her. Was he chatting her up? Possibly, from the way he studied her, although he did ask about her friends.

Sophie blushed beneath his scrutiny. "Yeah, my flat mate and my best friend," she replied. She sipped her drink, and out of the corner of her eye she saw Matthew, deep in conversation with the attractive female bartender, shoot her a look. Matthew had mentioned something about buying tequila shots but he was surely discussing more than just his order. Sophie smiled and focused on the lifeguard.

"Typical for Matthew, all the girls love him. He's always surrounded by women. But you're the only one who got him back into coaching." The lifeguard chuckled. "What's your name?" He stood extremely close to her.

"Sophie," she answered. "Yours?"

"Josh."

"So, do you like tequila shots, too?"

"Ha!" Josh threw his head back and laughed. "Do I ever?"

"Sophie," a voice shrieked. She turned and Carol threw her arms around her neck. "Guess what?" she said, her face radiating joy and excitement.

"What?" Sophie leaned forward.

"I'm in a new dance company. And, I'm the understudy for the principal dancer in SwanLake!" Carol jigged on the spot. "The show is on through Christmas and for three months after the New Year. I'm going to be the most diligent understudy ever – so much so that they'll wish they'd picked me for the Swan Queen. I have a huge future, they're even touring next year, all the way round Europe."

Sophie whooped for joy. "Congratulations!" she grabbed her friend's hands, jumping up and down with her on the spot. "This calls for a massive celebration. Let me get some champagne!"

"Congratulations," Josh interjected, his gaze scanning Carol's slim physique. "Sorry, I didn't get your name."

She extended her hand. "Call me Carol." She winked at him conspiratorially. "Who are you handsome?"

"I'm Josh." He held Carol's hand, shaking it for longer than was necessary. "I'm a lifeguard at the pool where Sophie has lessons."

"Are you the swimming instructor?" Carol asked sweetly.

Josh's focus had shifted, of course. Sophie felt envy ripple through her but shrugged it off. How could she have forgotten... men and their short attention spans, they'd cheat as soon as they were bored.

Matthew raced over, setting down a tray of tequila shots studded with lemon wedges. "Carol or Mickey?" He examined Carol with interest.

"Matthew this is Carol. She's my wonderful flat mate, the one I was telling you about. Guess what? She just got into a new dance company and is dancing in Swan Lake."

Carol beamed. "I was a little worried when I couldn't get work but this fantastic dance company heard I was on the market. I got in as the lead's understudy so I still might get my chance at stardom. Phew!"