Last Chance

Thank you so much for reading until the end of Skinny Dipping - you superstars!  I'm so grateful for you all for sticking with me and this my friends is the last installment. I truly hope you enjoy! 

As you are probably aware, the book is available in Amazon. For those of you who've read the book and loved it – please pop by Amazon and rate the book. It helps me reach new readers who haven't heard of me! So thank you. 

Chapter 26

The three water adventurers were rescued and safely on board the wrap party vessel, warmed by emergency blankets. Each of them dealt with the Thames swimming experience quite differently. Kelly couldn't stop talking, thanking both Matthew and Sophie for saving her. Matthew nodded, smiled. Sophie sat in angry silence.

She refused to look at him. The party had only just started, and would continue for several hours, but Sophie was leaving the vessel. She needed to go home, return to the safety of the shore and escape from Matthew.

Sophie sipped champagne as the boat turned around, suddenly wanting to get ridiculously drunk.

"Soph, congratulations on being the heroine tonight." Bradley rushed over to her. "You certainly know how to live your work, don't you?" How many drinks had he had?

"I've always had a passion for..." She paused. She was going to say the water, but who was she kidding? "For adventure."

He slid onto the bench next to her, draping his arm around her shoulders. "Look, Soph, I'm really sorry about all the pressure this year. I made a hasty decision making you redundant. You'll forgive me, won't you? I want you back. I should have trusted you to get on with your job, with Barney's Chocolate Bars and with the Silver account." She could smell the alcohol on his breath.

"It's fine. Honestly, it's fine."

"Shall we talk about you being reinstated on Monday?"

"Sure." She nodded.

Kelly approached, and Sophie's stomach lurched with thoughts of Matthew floating through her mind.

"Soph," Kelly started. Her lips were more normal in colour, though still slightly tinged with blue from the chilly water. "I wanted to thank you for jumping overboard and saving me. I was scared out there." Bradley looked on in approval and then took his leave, wandering over to a bunch of women at the other side of the boat.

Sophie nodded. "No problem. You'd have done it, too, if you were in the same position."

"You are quite a girl."

Sophie shrugged and looked down at the ground.

"I know this might be a little too late, but I wanted to say I'm sorry."

"What for?" Sophie's chest tightened. "Sorry for Matthew liking you? You go, girl. Don't worry about me." She shot a glance in Matthew's direction, met his gaze, and turned immediately away.

Kelly frowned. "I don't know what you think happened. Matthew's a client. He gave me a brilliant idea for my next campaign, and...well, he's pretty cute, so I thought I'd make a move. Story over. I didn't realise you two had a thing going. So, you go, girl."

Sophie smiled tightly, realising she'd already given away far too much to Kelly, the girl who'd use anything to sabotage her. She shot another glance in Matthew's direction. His gaze was still on them. No, on her.

"Look," Kelly continued, "what I'm trying to say is...no one in advertising is ever nice. People are ruthless, stepping on people's throats if someone gets in the way. That's the motto I got taught. I guess you're not like that, and besides, we're on the same side. So, I'm sorry."